How do I import the Key when importing issues via Import Issues from CSV

I am using the Import Issues from CSV via the Issues menu (admin CSV importer).  How can I import the Key instead of Jira assigning the key to the issue?  I want to use our own issue number so I can update these same issues in the future via the same CSV importer.

3 answers

Thanks for the example.

I have made a csv file as such:

"key", "summary"

"ADP-100419", "Second issue's summary"

Now I am on the import screen.  I am trying to map Key to Key but Key is not an available field.  How do i get Key as an available field?  Here are the fields I have available:

JIRA fields:  Original Estimate, Remaining Estimate, Summary, Issue Type, Due Date, Description, Reporter, Assignee, Priority and Labels.

Links & Sub-Tasks fields:  Issue ID, Parent ID.

In past testing of the import, I used Issue ID as the Key but JIRA still assigned it's own Key ("ADP-10" for example).  I would like it to be "ADP-100419" not an auto assigned number.

I figured it out.  I was not using the Admin Import.  I found it under the System menu–>External System Import.  Now I have all the fields I need!  Thanks for the info.  I appreciate your assistance.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Nov 04, 2015

You need to have a CSV file similar to this one:

"issue key", "summary"
"KEY-1", "First issue's summary"
"KEY-2", "Second issue's summary"

Note that the first row is essential, as JIRA needs it to know what is contained on each column.

Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Nov 05, 2015

@Kristy Marshall I have edited my answer after having read the official documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/importing-data-from-csv-185729516.html

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

938 views 5 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot