We are migrating from jira server to jira cloud

Shaun Parker April 24, 2019

We re planning to migrate from Jira Sever v6.4.10 to Jira Cloud.

I would like to know whether anybody has done a similar migration before and if so can you please point us in the right direction.

We are going to do this migration ourselves so would appreciate any recommendation for tools that would be useful.

Thank you

Shaun

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

I suggest reading over Atlassian's migration planning guide. It provides a good overview in to the process and what to expect.  The process is much messier than the guide may lead you to believe, however.  

My recommendations are:

• Know the storage policy and user and other limits on Cloud.
  • Perform the process end-to-end until you find a repeatable process. Once you have this repeatable process, perform the production migration. (ie: don't assume it will just work and do it for the first time and hope for the best)
  • Don't assume that your 3rd party App data will migrate. Be sure to test for this before you do your production migration. You may need to work with the App vendor to migrate their data in to Cloud.
  • Clearly define what functionality will be lost and communicate this to the user community.  It is highly likely that they are using 3rd party App functionality and they don't know this is provided by an App. If the App isn't available, they will assume something is wrong.
  • Get the Cloud environment in front of your power users before the migration.  The user interface is quite different between Server and Cloud and you want to have some experienced users to help with questions on the "Monday morning after the migration."
  • Expect to run in to bugs that require help from Atlassian Support.  We hit some kind of bug on about 50% of the migrations that we perform for clients.
  • If you get stuck, reach out to a Solution Partner. We do this for a living. 
Shaun Parker April 25, 2019

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Suggest an answer