Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion: What Command Palettes do you use?

Emily Ditchfield
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2023

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for joining our Command Palette Beta Group! We want to learn more about you and your use of command palettes. We'll be posting a discussion topic every week! This week our question is:

What other command palettes do you use? What do you like about them?

I use the Arc Browser command palette a lot. It’s inbuilt into a shortcut that I’m used to (cmd + t) and I love that it will switch me to an already opened tab instead of opening the same URL in a new tab.

4 comments

Comment

Anya Nagarajan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2023

I love the Arc command palette.

Lately, I have been using Slack's command palette. It helps me quickly navigate to different channels (I am in a lot of them) and for searching specific conversations.

I love their 'Jump to' any channel or direct messaging feature! 

Steven Klassen June 6, 2023

Visual Studio Code command palettes are a staple of my day-to-day. I would be lost without it, since there could have been thousands of menu options buried somewhere. In the era of ChatGPT translating simple language into results, I love being able to simply type a couple of words and have the program prompt or jump me into the menu/actions that I wanted.

As little time and mental effort as possible between first thought and implemented action.

(Hmmm... Definitely curious about trying out the Arc Browser specifically for their command palette.)

Like # people like this
Anya Nagarajan
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2023

Hi @Steven Klassen that's great to know. What type of commands do you frequently use in VS Code? 

Steven Klassen June 8, 2023

Lately it has been a lot of file setup commands or extension triggers: changing file language type, parsing/stringify-ing JSON, loading certain extension pages (graphs, visualizations, comparisons), or even just command discovery by typing a keyword and seeing the related commands. I often don't know what I'm missing.

Sidenote -- That's why I haven't used Jira's command palette too often yet: there isn't much to discover. As a QA engineer, most of the actions I take are on the current issue page: assign myself, add a comment, open related pull requests, click pass/fail to trigger the next workflow step... I don't do much issue administration (where I suspect the palette might be more useful) and I already have a shortcut to jump to the search bar. Happy to be enlightened, here!

Like # people like this
Anya Nagarajan
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2023

Thanks @Steven Klassen. Interesting points around command discovery! We are working towards adding more issue actions in the palette (like adding a comment). It's an interesting point around the shortcut to jump to the search bar. What are you typically searching for, and would you prefer an option to search in the palette instead? 

Steven Klassen June 13, 2023

I'm generally looking for 1 of 3 things:

1. An issue I know exists, but I can't remember the exact name or a clear description, so I'm typing in a couple keywords
  2. Discovering whether or not a bug has already been reported by searching related words / error messages
  3. One of our epics that holds a particular set of features or bugs (we use some epics to group together types of known issues)

I don't know how an issue search in the palette could be different than the search bar. Right now I would usually press "/" instead of "Cmd+K" and another key.

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2023

Yes I'm using the Arc one a lot. So easy to start notes with it.It super helpful when something just crosses my mind and I need to quickly start note taking. 

Also feel you with using Slack's command palette Anya, though I gotta say sometimes I get a bit confused by Slack's command palette... It has a lot going on. Don't @ me haha.

Like Anya Nagarajan likes this
Justice Caban June 10, 2023

Hi, super excited to see this feature built up more. I'm a big fan of the VS Code command palette, I've been using Arc for its command palette but the best one I've come across is Raycast. 

I would love to see forge integration so we can build more functionality into the command palette internally!

Like Emily Ditchfield likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events