Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software lifecycle - on which Jira instance should I add?

Vanessa Becker August 30, 2021

Hi Admins!

I have a query with regards to a software lifecycle and on which Jira instance i should add the workflow - the steps taken at Product and Design phase - will it be best suited in Jira Software or in Jira Service Desk? Please could you provide me with your inputs as I am not sure where to build in this workflow... Refer to pic. There will be automation setup between Jira Service Management and Jira Software whereby tickets assigned to a specific status in Service Desk will be created on Jira Software.

My investigations all point to Jira Software - that the workflow for the Product and Design phase workflow must be added in there. 

Does anyone else have a similar setup and what Jira instance do you use for the Product and Design phase?

Thank you!

Product and Design.jpg

4 answers

4 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Keith Jones
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2021

We use Jira in this way - for example, enhancement requests are received in the Jira Service Management (JSM). Once it's reviewed and determined to be a true enhancement request, a workflow step will create an issue in Jira Software with the relevant information populated. 

There are several reasons for us to do this:
1. We use vastly different workflows for the 2 different projects and we like to keep the number of issue types to a minimum in each project.
2. We have some developers that work only in Jira Software - same thing for JSM, some are agents in that project only.
3. In Jira Software, the "reporter" is actually the BA, so communications are internal only. We use JSM for our communication to the actual customer. 

Hope that helps. Looking at this, I'd be hard pressed to make a case for keeping both in the same project. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Wolverton August 30, 2021

I love your phrasing of the question and the diagram. We think of JSM as a front door. It is an easy way to get communications from a broad audience and then either answer the question directly or funnel the work to the appropriate team and resources while preserving communication back to the initiator. I agree that most 'work' is tracked in Jira Software and now potentially in Jira Work projects.

Maybe you should think of Design as a Jira Work project and Development as a Jira Software project.

0 votes
Answer accepted
JG Meillaud _ August 30, 2021

Hi Vanessa,

Make it a Jira Software project.

In most internal use cases better stay away from Jira Service Management.

Cheers,
JG

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2021

Hi Vanessa,

My thoughts are to add this into the Jira software product. Anything to do with the product design is associated with software not a service management project. I expect you’ve got automation tying your JSM and JSW projects together such that certain updates in the JSW project will reflect in the JSM project.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events