Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic to understand Access, Permissions and Roles in company- and team-managed projects

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2021

Hello everyone!

I'm currently learning for the ACP-620 but I'm having a hard time understanding the interaction from Access, Permissions and Roles in company-managed vs. team-managed projects.

I came up with the following graphic but I'm still not sure if I have thought about everything.

My question to all certified administrators out there:
Is this graphic kind of completed or am I still missing something? Are there any interactions that you would add? Or do you maybe have a complete graphic that you would be so kind to share?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-12 um 12.40.58.png

Any help on this is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Svenja

6 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

Looks good to me. 

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2021

Thank you very much @John Funk!

Hearing this from a certified Jira Cloud Administrator is great. 💡

Now I know that I did not make a major mistake, and this really helps me to understand.

Thank you!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2021

Not sure if this graphic helps, but I've referenced it to help clarify Company-Managed Project permissions. Might be too details for what you want? But I think it does cover "everything".

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/how-do-jira-permissions-work/

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2021

Hi @Mykenna Cepek,

Thank you for the link! No, no it's not to detailed! I think this is another really good addition. I'll add this graphic to my documentation of the company-managed projects.

1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2021

Hi @Svenja Lorenzen 

Nice graphic! and I think that about covers it for Team managed projects, but you could go deeper for Company managed.

For example, You mention Project roles and a permission scheme as concepts, but your graphic doesn't show how those roles represent different levels of access within the same permission scheme.

By doing this you would be able to define the permission scheme to a much deeper level as well as define the roles to a much deeper level.

Make sense?

Regards

Curt

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2021

Hi @Curt Holley,

Thank you so much for your answer.

Since roles can be highly customizable I don't think it would work out in this graphic. The graphic shall give a general overview. I wanted to make sure that my general understanding is covered. However I made a list of all permissions in another chapter to really deep dive.

This graphic is from my Confluence instance. When you click on 'Permissions' you will be directed to a page where I listed all permissions and their definition.

0 votes
Emma JL Rush
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2021

I love this graphic! I've actually recently been working on one similar to this when looking at user management, but I will update it to bring in elements from yours. 

As Joanna points out above, the missing piece is the issue-level permission section. 

0 votes
Karri Adkins September 17, 2021

Does your company apply any SSO rules when a new employee is onboarded that would proceed any of these?  Just a thought to include that.  I have found, in my case, this addition has severely made our permissions more complicated than it needs to be, when it was supposed to help.....I need to make a map like this.....to explain to our folks......

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2021

Hi @Karri Adkins,

No we're not using any SSO rules but this is a great input! I should dive into this topic as well!

Thanks for the great addition!

0 votes
Julia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2021

Hi @Svenja Lorenzen , 

We'll have an Atlassian University Live webinar on 21st September on the topic of Managing Permissions in Jira for Cloud, to help with exam preparation for ACP-620 and ACP-120.

Take a look here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification/Managing-Permissions-in-Jira-for-Cloud-Atlassian-University-Live/m-p/1795964#M672.  

The webinar is based on a new free Skillbuilder course called Managing Permissions in Jira Cloud from Atlassian University that will be released on 21st September.

Regards,

Atlassian University Team

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2021

Hi @Julia,

Thank you so much for pointing out the webinar. I'll definitley attend.

I signed up and can't wait to dive futher into the topic!

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
September 21, 2021

Hi @Svenja Lorenzen , thanks for joining the webinar. The graphic looks very good.
For completeness, you may wish to add information about issue-level security:

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events