Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Organization Dependencies

Coby Fuller October 6, 2021

We are using Jira as our work management tool. We are working with a vendor for some custom development, and they are also using Jira as their work management tool. There are times when work on our end is held up by work from the vendors end. Is there a way or a tool that can somehow link the 2 projects from different organizations to show a dependency report?

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2021

So, technically, yes, you can link two Jira Cloud instances together. @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ has a good demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-oq-X8uVtU

It's basically a good old Application Link: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-applinks-to-link-to-atlassian-products/

The CATCH, of course, is authentication. Will you have accounts on your vendor's Jira instance? If they've granted you limited access to a specific project in their instance, then I think this could conceivably work.

For this, you're very likely going to need OAuth authentcation without impersonation. (Since your Jira instance will not have the same userbase as the vendor's)

If you are able to connect this up, anybody looking at one of your Jira issues with links in the Vendor's Jira would likely not be able to see status, etc. without also having valid accounts on the vendor's Jira.

Coby Fuller October 12, 2021

Thank you @Darryl Lee   Exactly what I was looking for. This helps at least create the connection and teammates on both ends can maintain the dependency links. I can then create reports outside of Jira to share with the rest of the teams on both sides.

Like Darryl Lee likes this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2021

So it worked? Nice!

Like Coby Fuller likes this
Coby Fuller October 12, 2021

It did work. We have 2 teammates from each organization that meet once a week and will work through the dependency links. Once the links are in place, even though some teammates will not have access to the other's Jira instance, they can still see the issue key for the linked dependency. I will create a Power BI report to share the with teammates to also help show the dependencies between the organizations once the links are in place.

Like Darryl Lee likes this
2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2021

Hi @Coby Fuller 

I recommend first pausing to review your statement of work (SOW), or other information, with the vendor to learn how you both planned to keep aligned on status.

There appear to be apps in the marketplace to do this type of synch, and I have not used any of them so I have no recommendations: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search  They may do more than what you are asking to achieve, and the vendor may not want to allow it (e.g. due to other clients information).

Kind regards,
Bill

1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

HI @Coby Fuller 

I doubt it...there are so many elements that could block this even if theoretically possible.

What I've seen done is create a story/task (whatever) that represents their piece of work. include the reference number of it at their end and keep as in sync as possible via stand-ups, regular catch-ups.....not ideal, but I fear you will struggle to implement any cross domain linkages done in the native Jira way.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events