Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean up list of labels in Jira Software

Vanessa Becker October 8, 2021

Hi guys!

How do I clean up my list of labels in Jira i.e I want to remove it from my project completely

See picture.Labels.jpg

4 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2021

Hi @Vanessa Becker

If you don't want to see the Labels field completely in your project, then remove it from the screens used in the project. Be aware if the screen scheme the screen is in is used in more project this will impact al related proects.

If you want to move them from the more fields section, you will need to adjust this in the Issue Layout section in the project settings.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.50.34.png

You need to do this for the issue types where you want to move the Labels field to the More fields section. This via Edit Layout.

In the required layout then move the field from the "hidden when empty" section. But if someone does provide a label the field will be made visible by default

If you are looking to completely remove a value from all the labels, this is only feasible by searing for all the issues with that label and remove the label from all the issues.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bharath
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2021

Hi @Vanessa Becker ,

I am not sure if this helps, but it looks like we already have a suggestion on how we can delete Jira labels, here's a mass ticket #https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-33672

The ticket stated "To delete a label to be completely removed from a project in JIRA, the label must be removed from all the issues in that project. Once it is removed from all issues, it will no longer be suggested in autocomplete or when browsing a project's labels."

Cheers!

Vanessa Becker October 8, 2021

Thank you how do you do a bulk search for a specific label?

Madelen Smedenteg October 8, 2021

I cleaned up my labels with this JQL search:

project = YOURPROJECT labels in (YOURLABEL)

and then bulk-removed the label I wanted to get rid of. The tricky part is if you have more than just this label on a specific issue, then I needed to do it manually on that issue because the bulk-remove label will empty the whole label field... Maybe there is a smarter way, but I haven't found one...

Lewis Cook October 8, 2021

If you setup an automation rule in the "edit issue" action you are able to select which labels you wish to remove from the issues.

Unfortunately from what I was looking at recently if you set it up as a "triggered" automation you will need to do it individually per issue.

If you set the automation up as scheduled you are then able to trigger the rule directly.

So use the filter suggested by Madelen as a condition on the rule then remove the labels. You can then amend the automation rule condition and action for the next label.

Thanks

Lewis

2 votes
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2021

Hi @Vanessa Becker ,

In addition to the other answers, there's also the option of using an app.

In my biased opinion Project Labels is a terrific app to manage labels, as it allows you to get an overview of all labels used in your instance as well as renaming/removing much more easily than with the bulk approaches outlined by @Madelen Smedenteg and Lewis. 

This is what it looks like in practise:

Manage Labels.png

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Full disclosure: I work for Jodocus, the Marketplace Partner behind Project Labels. Let me know if you need any help getting started or have any questions or feedback.

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

Jira Automation can easily handle this. Here's an example (tested) rule:

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 8.53.24 AM.png

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

Here's what the trigger configuration looks like in the rule above. The Cron expression simply assures that it only runs when triggered manually with the "Run rule" button.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 8.55.37 AM.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events