Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed -Tracking Developer Time against tickets & automation to notify PM when getting close?

Wendy Grapentine March 6, 2024

Also curious what other people use as well.

Situation:
PM's input hours into Original Time Estimate Field in Jira. 
Developers log their hours against tickets using Jira Add-On called TimeTracker. 

Complications:
- Time Tracker works great against the direct ticket.  It can not aggregate or roll-time up to a parent ticket. 

Request from PM's - Create a Jira automation that will notify the PM's and the Sales Reps when actual developer time logged is 80% of the Original Estimated Time has elapsed.  

Notifications themselves should not be a problem. Question is more to do with:
1) how would I set up automation query
2) how would your company do something like this?  Any recommendations?

(Sorry if nebulous, need help with # 1 and just curious on #2 if there are better/different ways to track dev time)

2 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Robert Condon March 7, 2024

I'd start with this, and debug from there

To push logged work up to the Parent Issue:

• Trigger > Work Logged
  • Add any Conditions (such as filter by User or IssueType)
  • Add branch > For Parent
  • Update Issue > Copy Log Work from Trigger Issue

To Monitor for >80%:

• Trigger > Work Logged (Make sure to check 'Allow this rule to be triggered by automation'
  • Smart Values Conditon
    {{#=}}{{issue.timetracking.timespent.asnumber}}/{{issue.timetracking.timeoriginalestimate.asnumber}}{{/}}
    Is greater than 0.8
  • Send Email
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2024

I literally had a request for functionality like this yesterday. You have probably saved me hours of poking around!

Like Steven Haworth likes this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2024

It turns out the workRatio value (expressed as a numeral between 0 - 100, no percent sign necessary) IS this value, so a query of

workRatio > 80

is all you need :) 

1 vote
Amit Bansal March 7, 2024

Issue 1 - Complications:
- Time Tracker works great against the direct ticket.  It can not aggregate or roll-time up to a parent ticket. 

Approach - Time tracking should be done against sub-tasks (under all stories/tasks/bugs) so that they roll up to parent ticket. You can write an automation rule to trigger updation of estimation field of parent story/task as soon as subtask estimation is updated.

Post which you can use workratio field to check if it has reached 80.

Issue 2 - 

Notifications themselves should not be a problem. Question is more to do with:
1) how would I set up automation query
2) how would your company do something like this?  Any recommendations?

Approach - 

1) Step 1

- Automation rule for updation of estimation field when any subtask sees change in estimation field.

- Automation rule for slack/email notification as soon as story/task has workratio >-=80

2) We don't have any such requirement. Also, I am not sure how this alert would be used by the receiver.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events