Why doesn't Work in Progress count lean metric match Team Room in progress items?

Kelley Cooper April 20, 2021

In my Team Room (Kanban team) the Dashboard Metrics show 14 Stories as Work in Process.

TeamRoom-WIP.png

But if I view the Work in Progress line graph within the Work in Progress State report, it shows only 11 Stories in progress. 

WIPState-WorkInProgress.png

Can anyone help me understand what I'm missing?

Thank you!!!

1 answer

0 votes
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Kelley Cooper 

I have seen this happen in the past.  The MOST common culprit... especially for kanban teams, is the owning Program is other than the one in which the team resides. 

Scenario:  Kanban Team Alpha is a systems team, their work is contributing to two programs. When in the team room the correct data for all WIP and all other associated metrics is correct.  (In PROCESS work). However some reports outside of the team room, may not include work for the second program as these reports that look at PROGRESS (program metrics by team.) if the team is not part of the program in Jira Align, those stories and associated program PROGRESS are not included. 

Not sure if this is your exact scenario.  But perhaps it at least gives you an investigation starting point. 

Happy digging! 

Tina 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events