Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with detail pannel settings

Abhinav Reddy August 19, 2021

Hello,

Is there a reason why the details panels settings in the admin screen is not reflecting changes to fields when we change them? Specifically, I am talking about fields on the capability detail panels setting. We are trying to make the product bundle not required for a capability for one of the portfolios but no matter what we do it is making the product bundle field required for the capability. Can the reason be this is hard coded for our org, or is this a bug in JA?  all other work item fields seem to be working as I would expect in JA. This is only one that does not seem to be working as I would expect so I am wondering if there is customization here that I am not aware of.

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

@Abhinav Reddy @Sam Tsubota 

When enabled the system is hardcoded to require Epics for all capabilities. 

When enabling Capabilities for a portfolio this message is displayed: 

"Enabling Capabilities puts a layer between Initiatives and Jira Epics. An Initiative will be associated with Capabilities and Capabilities will be associated with Jira Epics. The direct Initiative and Jira Epic association will no longer be possible. Once Capabilities are enabled, they cannot be turned off.

Capabilities will be turned on for this Portfolio only.

If Multi-Groups is turned on then you should not have a mixture of portfolios that have Capabilities on and off (This could result in unusual reporting rollups)."

INHO the text on this message would be more clear stating "Enabling Capabilities puts a REQUIRED layer between..." 

Abhinav - in your instance, unless something changed in the structure in the last 6-8 months, ALL of your portfolios are set up as Product Bundle, Capability, Jira Epic(Feature) and Story.  If something did change and any of your newer portfolios do not have capabilities, do be aware that multi program options between capability enabled and not enabled portfolio WILL skew the reporting.  This also will need to be accounted for in your use of Enterprise Insights (BI)

Hope this helps 

Tina Behers 

0 votes
Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2021

@Abhinav Reddy Did you rename the feature work item and product to capability and product bundle in your Jira Align instance? If this is what I think you are referring to then the Product field is a required field for features if enabled (enabled when Manage Products = Yes under Platform -> Manage Portfolio Specifications. See screenshot). You don't have the ability to make it not required.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 10.05.45 AM.png

Hello Sam,

Thank you for the reply!

We have only renamed Epic to 'Product Bundle'. Capability remains as Capability in our JA instance.

Thank you.

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2021

@Abhinav Reddy In the Detail Panel Setting of the Portfolio for Capabilities, is the Required toggle for Product Bundle (Epic) turned off? This will not make it required to assign an epic (Product Bundle) to a capability when you create it.Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 10.22.16 AM.png

It has been set to Off, but it isn't reflecting change to the Product Bundle field in the Capability. I have another observation, in the Capability I see the Product bundle is named as Parent Product bundle as shown in the picture. I'm not sure where the word 'parent' is coming from

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 12.31.54 PM.png

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2021

@Abhinav Reddy Since that toggle is set to off it could be a bug. I suggest opening a ticket with Jira Align support to help troubleshoot the issue. As for the field name displaying "Parent", in Jira Align work items a level above in the work item hierarchy are commonly referred to as the parent. On the Capability Detail Panel, the epic (Product Bundle) associated to a capability is the Parent Epic or in your case Parent Product Bundle.

Got you. Is there a way for Atlassian to hard code it(Product bundle to be required always) for a specific organisation's Jira Align instance?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events