Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to rename a ROLE in Jira Align ?

JOHN AMES May 29, 2024

I'm doing some cleanup of System Roles in our Instance and would like to rename some of the current roles?  Is that possible without using the 'Copy Role' functionality to basically create a new Role with the new name and then delete the existing Role? 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Sauser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2024

@JOHN AMES The ability to rename would be helpful, however the steps to create a new role (regardless if you are just renaming it or copying it to change permissions is relatively straightforward.  

1. Admins --> Roles
  2. Scroll down to Copy
  3. Select the role you want to have a new name. 
  4. Give the new role the name you desire.
  5. Copy
  6. Admin --> People
  7. Filter --> Role Name (select old role name)
  8. More Actions --> Export
  9. Admin -- People
  10. Filter --> Deactivated = Yes
  11. Filter --> Role Name (select old role name)
  12. More Actions -->Export
  13. Combine the exports
  14. Remove the 1 extra column in the export that is different than the Import File
    1. I believe this is Column N (Assigned Teams)
  15. Import

Now everyone is moved to the new role and you can safely remove the old role.  

Note:  If someone is missed (or more likely a choice is made not to address the Deactivated Users) when the role is deleted that/those users will be moved to the Default Role. 

• Moving to the default role will not impact membership to any team/program/portfolio.  Placing them into the new role will not have any negative impacts either. 
  • If you are concerned that someone might be missed do an export of all users in the Default Role before deleting the role and then another export of all users in the Default Role and compare the counts (if they have not changed then you are good).  
  • If the role counts don't match order them (in excel) by email address and put them side by side.  You will find the differences pretty quickly.  

P.S. Having done this action many times with many customers I have never, not even once, seen any misses in the update.  I would feel extremely comfortable that this secondary check is not necessary. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Edvaldo Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2024

Hi @JOHN AMES

Currently, renaming system roles is not an available functionality in Jira Align, however, I found an existing suggestion JIRAALIGN-6348 for adding the ability to rename sys roles.

I'd recommend adding yourself as a watcher of the above suggestion to be kept updated on its progress and vote for it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events