Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Jira Align is it possible to rename an Existing Role?

John Ames May 5, 2022

We are wanting to clean up the roles we have in the system that aren't being used and rename other so that they are more descriptive of the personas in that ROLE. 

Is there a way we can do this in the UI, or would that be something that is done in the DB by the support team? 

Thanks, 

- John 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2022

In Jira Align, it isn't currently possible to rename a role. However, if you have the appropriate system rights, you can copy one role to another and delete the old one.

This works for most of the out-of-the-box roles that come with Jira Align, and will work for any of the roles that you may have created.

In the Jira Align Administration subsystem, under Roles, you can copy one role to another. Here I copy the "Team Leads" role to "Scrum Master", the new name I want to use.

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 2.09.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-05 at 2.11.33 PM.png

After that is copied, I can delete the old role.

John Ames May 9, 2022

Yeah .. but then I need to manually move users to the 'new' role and for one of our ROLES that over 2000 people that would need to be updated. Or is there a way to automate that ?  Other than API calls one user at a time? 

Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2022

Thanks for the additional information! To change the roles of existing users, there are [at least] two options:

1. Write a script using Jira Align's User API to find the people with Role #1 and change it to Role #2.
  2. In the People Administration panel, Export all the users with Role #1, update the output file with the new role, then Import the changes. You can read about exporting and importing users here:

Export: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000353233-10X-Export-Users

Import: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000353533-10X-Import-Users

John Ames May 13, 2022

Only issue is the 4MB limit on the import file ... with over 2000 users that are going to have their role changed it's going to take a lot of time importing them ~25 at a time. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events