Feature (Jira Epic) Backlog priority sync to Jira Epic

Thomas Dennis September 30, 2021

When we go to the Program icon on the blue Nav bar and select "Backlog" under Program, then select the correct Program and PI while we ensure "Viewing" is set to "Feature (Jira Epic)". We then see a list of all Features (Jira Epics) and we take time to drag and drop all Features (Jira Epics) into the correct prioritized order. 

I "thought" when I would go into the Project in Jira and look at the backlog of the Jira Epics the prioritized order would be the same but the Epics are not in the same order as the Feature (Jira Epics) in Jira Align. I thought this is why they were synced so Product Owner in Jira Align could prioritize work and Scrum Team in Jira could see work prioritized.

Appreciate any assistance here.

Thanks - Tom

1 answer

0 votes
Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2021

Did you press the "Push rank to External System" button?

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 9.58.00 AM.png

Thomas Dennis October 3, 2021

Thanks, Unfortunately when I go to backlog at the program level with no filters set, I click the "Pull Rank" button and the only option available is pull from Epic. I went into Admin settings and "Enable Rank Sync" is enabled. Can you assist further? Thanks!

image.png

Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2021

Your Admin may have to turn on the "Enable Rank Sync" and map the Jira Rank field using the field ID.  Both settings are in Adimi -> Jira Settings page -> Jira Setup tab.

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 8.36.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-03 at 8.37.02 PM.png

Thomas Dennis October 4, 2021

Allan,

First I want to say I appreciate your help! As the Admin, I was able to get this working. I used 10019 as the field number.  However, this appears to be a bit of a fail as it cannot push to Jira at the team level, only the program level. Meaning, if we want to use this feature, the three team belonging to a program need to all agree on prioritization of program backlog prior to pushing to Jira.

Follow-up question: If we do push at the program level to the three teams (projects in Jira), the rank for the Epics in Jira will be the same as the rank for the Jira Align Features correct?  

Thanks again, Tom

beherst October 4, 2021

@Thomas Dennis 

The key to syncing the story level is: 

1) You must be in the Story backlog 

2) you must have teams and sprints selected (don't forget to include Unassigned) 

3) you must "Push Rank to External system" for EACH SPRINT (including Unassigned) 

As a general rule - I train and coach the use of team level sync in the following manner - For simplicity sake, I am describing using SAFe "norms": 

Product Owner for each team should discuss & set rank for stories in Jira Align starting with Unassigned backlog (generally done prior to a PI Event or before/during the any one of the breakout sessions prior to wrap up. 

Next the Product Owner for each team should discuss & set rank for stories in Jira Align for individual sprints - focusing on the 80/50/20/10 rule for sprint order. 

Hope this helps! 

Thomas Dennis October 6, 2021

@beherst : Interesting! Are you referring to these steps in Jira Align? Not sure how to select sprints? Could you walk me through additional detailed steps?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events