Hey folks! I wanted to share some of the things I ran into while building out my connector from an on-prem Jira DC to Jira Align. Hopefully these will help other folks who have issues, please share some of the "gotchas" you found.
I will have to admit, I was a bit daunted when I started working on the project to connect our on-premise Jira to Jira Align. Enterprise networks are finicky at best and a labyrinth at worst. Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I found most useful while working on connecting Jira to Align.
Honorable mentions to my own internal network team, and Tim Keyes who very patiently triaged issues with us. For frame of reference, this connector example uses an API gateway between Jira and Jira Align.
Having a good view into the network layer of our connector was invaluable. I had some traffic captures done so I could analyze them for errors.
Here's my first culprit. TLS handshake failure, so we had our teams re-examine our certificate setups and they were able to determine there was a trust issue. Certificate reinstalled and away we go!
Ran into an issue where our connection was being reset, so we had our gateway team adjust some of the parameters. Finally, we can see traffic being passed between Align and Jira.
There are API logs available in the "Jira Settings" portion of the admin console in Align.
The pink portion is what our gateway uses to send traffic to Jira. It is removed from the call when forwarded to Jira. The blue is the API call that should be used within Jira itself. However when the service account gets to Jira to do a simple healthcheck, it receives a 404. The URI it is trying to get to does exist, so its time to look at the logs on the Jira side. Note for Jira DC users, errors should still contain node information in the response, so you can tell which node you need to look at specifically. Here's a line from our http access logs, with the user account "trex" as our service account.
We can see that there's an extra part of the tags that got into the URL request. In Align's Jira Connectors menu, we can adjust the URL used as the Jira API URL, removing the "/align" from the end. Finally, we see 200 codes and issues syncing up to Align. Enterprise agility is abound! Now that we have connectivity, we're setting up testing use cases, and I'm so excited to see what we can do with the new functionality.