Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a new SSL Certificate break some Hipchat Integrations

Justin Nielsen April 9, 2018

Over the weekend I updated our Hipchat SSL cert so that it will not be mark as insecure by Google in the near future.

Everything seemed to work fine, received the new cert, applied it via the web console, hipchat restarted, messages could be sent, SSL Labs gave it an A+ rating, all great.

Except now certain bots aren't working, specifically karma and sassy bot. I can find successful webhooks sent to these bots in the tetra.log, but I see nothing after that, and get no responses from them in the chat rooms.

Could a new cert break our integration? And what can I do, short of uninstalling and reinstalling, which would probably make us lose all of our karma? (and trust me, we can't lose the karma)

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Raymundo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2018

Hi, Justin!

Please notice that the karma and sassy integrations don't install or store anything locally on your server. When this type of integration is installed, a communication link is established between the bot provider and your server, and the two systems interact with each other through webhooks and API calls. Since the integration provider needs to establish that you are using a secure connection, changing the certificate will lead to it not trusting your server anymore. Therefore, I'm afraid the option is indeed to uninstall e reinstall it.

Justin Nielsen April 9, 2018

Will we lose all of our current Karma ratings?

(you would be surprised at how important that is)

David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2018

Hi Justin,

I've just tested this in HipChat Server v2.2.4 instance and reinstalling the integration didn't change the existing karma saved. However, a caveat to my testing:

I didn't change the FQDN (the HipChat Server address). I suspect that this is used as a unique identifier. Make sure the new SSL certificate has the same CN as the previous one. If it's different it may not retain the karma ratings!

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server/Data Center Support Engineer | Atlassian

Justin Nielsen April 12, 2018

Sadly karma bot doesn't seem to like our new cert at all, and the error message is less than helpful.

The integration service (Karma at https://karma.hipch.at) did not receive the expected response from your HipChat Server.

https://hipchat.digi.com

All that I can think to do is to re-apply the cert and then the integration and see if there is any difference. What I don't get is if every browser and HTTPS test site likes the cert, what is karma bot looking for?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events