Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are proxy settings available after logging in, and not before?

Dan Violet Sagmiller March 16, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Unable to sign in to the HipChat desktop app

Why are proxy settings available after logging in, and not before?  That makes no sense.  If I am logged in, then my proxy is already working.  If my proxy is not setup properly, it will not be able to log in to change that setting.

4 answers

0 votes
Scott June 10, 2018

This is ridiculous and makes Hipchat almost unusable in some corporate environments. I have to make a scripted to delete the hipchat.ini every day so I can log in when I move to different locations. Without deleting HipChat's config every time I can't even open the app, let alone change the proxy settings. I've never seen this convention followed by any other windows app I've come across. It's unique to hipchat.

@[deleted] - Two critical suggestions:

• Remove whatever code blocks the app from launching the login screen when it can't communicate with the server
  • Allow the user to specify the proxy details on the login screen
0 votes
Gesly George April 5, 2016

If someone from Atlassian, could explain how to configure the proxy server, it would really help. We are evaluating HipChat at my company, but I have no way of using the desktop client as I have no way of logging in to the client. All connections have to go through an authenticated proxy server. The client keeps telling me to check my internet connection when clicking the Get started button.

0 votes
Dan Violet Sagmiller March 16, 2016

I ask this, because I can use the site on both my VPN'd domain machine and local machine, but the app does not work over the VPN.  We have proxy settings that allow for pretty much anything when needed, but I have to tell the app to use that proxy.

0 votes
killnine March 16, 2016

I'm having this exact issue. Can't log in because it can't connect to hipchat.com (though a browser works). It must not be using my corporate proxy.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events