Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the --purge-older-than (-u) switch actually do on HipChat Server export?

Bret Marzolf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 17, 2015

There's almost no documentation on this switch, so its difficult to know what it does and how to use it.

In terms of documentation, the only thing I saw was this blurb from the HipChat Server release notes page:

• Exports can be purged by age, in days: hipchat export --purge-older-than 7

I've played around with it a bit, but I've made two observations:

1. I can't use the -e and -u switches at the same time - if you do then, your export won't actually start.
  2. The -u switch doesn't actually seem to purge data. If I have chat history data for 2 days and I do something like this:
hipchat export -e ...
(result: I export 2 days worth of data)
hipchat export -u 1

(not sure what happens here)

and then I do the export again...

hipchat export -e ...

I still see the same 2 days worth of data exported like I did on the first export

Anyone know how this is really supposed to work?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
ramiro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2015

Hi Bret,

The hipchat export -e ...  command is used to start a new export process. The result of this process is going to be a .tar.gz.aes file with all the messages from your server (more info on the full contents here).

The hipchat export --purge-older-than command deletes any export files that are older than the N days, where N is the value you passed. It only deletes the files produced by the exporter itself, it doesn't affect the room history, nor anything else on the server.  The -e and -u parameters are not meant to be used together, as you already noticed. 

We' ll make sure the documentation is clearer on this aspect, thanks for bringing it up.

Hope it helps!

Bret Marzolf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 21, 2015

Thanks for this helpful answer. So, it doesn't appear that there are any switches on the export command that control the range of data you are getting in the export? It would be nice if I could say "only export data for chat history that occurred newer than 1 day" or "only export data for chat history that occurred between these two dates"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events