Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Jira field if it is mentioned in a hipchat room?

Angela Tran May 12, 2017

I would like to set a field (Checkbox preferred) on an issue if that issue is mentioned in a HipChat room. Is this possible?

Any help on how to acheive this would be appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

Hi Angela,

If you can install and configure the HipChat for JIRA integration, it already has a feature to highlight when JIRA issues are mentioned in HipChat Rooms:

hipchat_discussions.png

The panel above should appear on the right sidebar of your JIRA issues once the integration is installed and configured.

The integration adds a global webhook in HipChat to match against JIRA issue key patterns. If it detects an issue key, it will try to post an 'issue preview' to the HipChat Room in which the issue was mentioned, as well as maintaining the 'HipChat discussions' feature pictured above.

If it's a requirement that issue mentions show up in checkbox form within JIRA, you may be able to do some customization to make it happen.

For example, you could add HipChat webhooks to watch for issue keys in chat (or re-using the webhook you get for free with the integration mentioned above) then somehow fire off a JIRA API call to update the issue mentioned. I'm just speculating, so I can't provide a complete solution, but it should be possible.

I hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events