Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get database-consistent snapshots from Hipchat server?

Mike Ely January 30, 2017

We've got a series of scripts we run on our normal mysql servers that do a flush tables with writelock prior to starting VMWare snapshot and then unlock tables after (it's about 7 seconds of writelock). Trying to do the same on HipChat server is proving difficult due to mysql rules and general appliance-ization of this "server."

Given that Atlassian insists on only distributing HipChat as a virtualized appliance (making HipChat an awful martian in pretty much anyone's environment, by the way), what is the current guidance on getting consistent VM snapshots?

1 answer

1 vote
JoCo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2017

Hi Mike.

Here’s the HipChat documentation for making backups: Back up and restore HipChat Server

Hopefully that gives you some useful info.

Mike Ely January 31, 2017

Hi John,

Thanks for your response. I've read the page you linked to and unfortunately that does not address my question about getting an application-consistent backup of the mysql database on the HipChat server, only crash-consistent. Given the amount of write activity on a typical environment, there's a good chance of this leading to a messy restore.

So I must repeat my previous question: how do I get a consistent database backup from a VM snapshot? We do this on all our other mysql databases very easily, but then again they are VMs built against our shop standard and thus manageable.

Having HipChat as a regular install on our Linux hosts would eliminate the need for this question and many others to come. I've read the official explanation of why HipChat is only being distributed as a VM and not an installable application, and frankly it does not come close to passing the smell test. I read "it's too much work!" in the subtext. Please let us know when Atlassian plans to fix this nagging issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events