Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat server hosted locally: no push notifications on iOS?

Marco Giuliani February 25, 2015

Hello,

I've just set up a local HipChat server installation (Atlassian HipChat 1.0 build 1.1.9 (2015.02.12.113513)) on an ESXi server. TCP ports 443,5222,5223 are reachable from the external network and everything just works well. 

Push notifications on Android work as expected as well. On iPhone though I cannot get HipChat client succesfully receive push notifications. The iOS client can connect to the server, send and receive messages, but it doesn't receive any push notification.

Of course the push notifications are switched on everywhere they should, into the Hipchat client and in the iOS settings (in fact I receive push notifications from other apps like Whatsapp). 

On my Hipchat account I see in the notification settings "iPhone/iPad: Enabled ( Remove)".

I tried signing out from the web client and leave only the iOS client connected, but nothing appears. Also I tried putting the web client on a different status than "Available", like "Away" but without success.

How can I debug what's going on and how can I get it fixed? Without push notifications I'm not totally sure this solution can be installed in a production environment.

Many thanks for your support!

Kind regards

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jnolen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2015

Hi Marco!

Sounds like you should contact HipChat Support. You can create a ticket at http://help.hipchat.com.

I apologize: I tried to create a ticket for you, but I don't have an email address to use.

Cheers,

Jonathan

1 vote
Simon Gatto October 22, 2015

Same issue here, although I've got a slightly different flavour smile  I seem to get "most" push notifications on my phone as long as I'm logged out of my desktop client and it's completely closed down (which is a bit inconvenient), however, they just pop up on my screen without any sort of alert (sound/vibration) so I never actually know if I've gotten a message unless I happen to be staring at my phone sad  I have of course checked, double checked, then re-checked all of the appropriate notification settings for this on my phone, the desktop client, and my HC profile on the server but to no avail.

I suspect this is also related to the known issues mentioned above, but wanted to log it here so Atlassian is at least aware of the impact it's having.

1 vote
Steffen Winter October 15, 2015

We have the same Problem and reportet to the support.

Here the  answer from the HipChat Support:

Hey, Steffen!

Yes, we were able to simulate the issue. Turns out this is affecting only HipChat server users. Our devs are still working on a fix. I'm afraid I cannot provide you an ETA for when it is going to be fixed.

Let me know if you need further help!

Kind regards,

Nágila Marques
HipChat Support

0 votes
Mark Brunck December 5, 2016

This problem still persists in Version Atlassian HipChat 2.1.0 (2016.11.29.092641).

Android devices are working fine.

iOS HipChat client 3.15.1.

Is there any roadmap when this will be fixed? 

We are evaluating the server and this is the only reason that prevents us from purchase.

0 votes
vijayalakshmi May 25, 2016

Is this issue resolved because I am also facing the same now:(

0 votes
DcP Tech February 7, 2016

Hi,

any news about this issue ?

I've a local HipChat server installation (HipChat 1.3 build 1.3.7) withe the same issue.
The iOS devices can recive notification but no badge/counter appears. Furthermore, we're not able to see from which rooms/chats messages came from.

Be waiting support,

thanks

marco

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

My teams are complaining about the same problem - push notifications actually come in, but when you tap to open the HipChat iOS client, it doesn't load the specific room where the comment is found nor does it give you any badges or comment counts in the list of rooms. You can't tell where to go to read the comment.  And if you miss the push notification's visual element, you don't have any other way to know that you have an unread comment.

The Android client works great in all these areas, though.

0 votes
Gianluca Zamagni November 20, 2015

Same trouble here as @Simon Gatto. I'm evaluating to buy this product but right now I'm not sure.. push notifications are a key features. Plus on our self hosted the emoticons don't works at all.

0 votes
David McCumber July 10, 2015

Same here.  Plan to open a support ticket.  would love a quick solution.

Joshua Hau July 10, 2015

I got the ios push notifications working, but there is no sound signal played when a push notification is coming through.

hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2015

Hi Joshua, Apologise for the inconvenience. This used to be a bug but no longer the case in HipChat Server build 1.2.8. Please upgrade your server if you haven't already :)

0 votes
Joshua Hau July 9, 2015

I got the same problem. Did you get it solved?

0 votes
Marco Giuliani February 25, 2015

My bad, apologies! Thanks for the hint smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events