Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat Data Center not able to connect to PostgreSQL

Byron Boudreaux June 13, 2018

I am doing a test deployment of HipChat Datacenter on Virtual Machines and am unable to get the HipChat server to connect to the PostgreSQL server.  I built the HipChat server using the OVA.  I manually built a PostgreSQL server from the CentOS 7 (1708) ISO.  I created a HipChat database on the PostgreSQL server as well as a user for it an gave the user perms to the database.

I can open a browser from my workstation and connect to the setup UI of the HipChat server.  From my workstation, I can ping the PostgreSQL server and the port it is listening on (5432).  I can SSH into the HipChat server and also ping the PostgreSQL server and the port it is listening on ( image below):

postgreSQL.jpg

In the HipChat setup UI, I have tried using the IP address and the FQDN of the PostgreSQL server.  Below is what I get when I try the IP address:

hcui-ip.jpg

Below is what I get when I use the FQDN (which is resolvable from my workstation):

hcui-hostname.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2018

Hi, Byron.

Since you are running into issues while setting up the database through the HipChat Data Center wizard, can you please try to configure manually using configuration.json instead with reference to the Configure Hipchat Data Center using a config file documentation?

The error suggests that the wizard was unable to reach to the PostgreSQL though there was no issue using netcat. 

That will give us a rough idea on where to start troubleshooting this issue. Thanks.

Byron Boudreaux June 18, 2018

I got this working and the only change I made was to install PostgreSQL 9.5 post OS install versus installing 9.2 as part of the OS install.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2018

Hi, Byron.

Thank you for notifying me on the fix you implemented on your end. The requirement of deploying the specific version of PostgreSQL is highlighted in the following pages:

Deploy a Postgres instance using version 9.5. Use the the official Postgres installation guides found here.

Meanwhile, please let me know if the instance is fully running and operational as of now or if you happen to run into any issues along the way, do share it here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events