Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded videos in HipChat

Gordon Austin February 17, 2018

Does anybody know what format/encoding of video is required for HipChat to be able to play embedded videos?  I put MP4 files in right now (TS encoding) and get the attached error when I go to play them in the chat window.  The other users do not know to download the video to watch it, so this is a major inconvenience.  hipchatErrorUpload.png

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2018

Hi, Gordon.

This issue has been reported in the bug and suggestion tracking portal here:

I encourage you to visit the suggestion page linked above and click the Vote and Watch links near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.

Feedbacks are also appreciated! You can do this by leaving a comment on the ticket as this helps the team prioritize & understand the use case of the feature request. Hope that helps.

Gordon Austin April 4, 2018

Thanks for the update, I'm not running a hip chat server.  HCPUB-710 is the issue that I am experiencing.  This behavior is frustrating and seeing that it is recognized and will not be fixed makes it work.  Is there a work around?  What formats will it play natively?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-710

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hi, Gordon.

You are welcome. According to Dustin here:

"The Windows client cannot play mp4 files due to licensing restrictions of the mp4 codec."

I performed further research and came across this:

"It won't work in Windows and Linux clients because they don't have the H264 codec "

• I tested through flv, avi, wmv, mov, but none of them works.
  • I noticed that you have commented on the ticket already to stress the importance of having at least an external viewer / auto-download the file. This will be a good alternative since it is known that this will not work on the Windows and Linux client
  • I was able to have the .mp4 file played on the Mac, mobile (iOS), and web client as a workaround
  • I can confirm that I can play all the embedded files within Stride. 

Since you are not on HipChat Server, can I please check if you are already in the process of migrating to Stride as this will ultimately solve the problem?

Gordon Austin April 5, 2018

Our IT Department requested the migration during our off-week last week; however, they were informed that we would be migrated at Atlassian's convenience.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2018

Hi, Gordon.

Gotcha. Hold on to your seat for now until the migration is completed. Rest assured that the team are doing their best to cater to your request at a timely manner. Once completed, you should be all set.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events