Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sh.exe Fatal: needs to be a branch. It does not exist and is required.

Sela_Oren April 30, 2018

I'm trying to start a new feature from the working copy parent but I get: 

> sh.exe Fatal: needs to be a branch. It does not exist and is required. 

and the name of the branch also has a long hash. But if I start a new feature from the latest dev branch, then it works fine. What's going on? It used to work. 

I'm on ST 2.5.5.0 and win 10.

2 answers

0 votes
Dennis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2018

Workaround:: make a new branch through clicking the branch icon, and putting the parent branch before the new.. [feature]/[new branch] . 
Encountered the same problem but was able to work around it. 

Sela_Oren June 27, 2018

Yeah I know, but I might as well just use tortoise git instead if I do that.

0 votes
BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2018

Hello, 

To start a branch, do you `git checkout -b branch-name` or is it automated somewhere?

If so, can you share your config?

-Billy

Sela_Oren April 30, 2018

I'm using Git Flow, it comes with source tree. 

SourceTree_2018-04-30_17-13-02.png

This is not just making a new branch or using cli. 

You mean this file? 

AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_Url_i4in3c5q4teqz4osjdo33qsze410ndkz\2.5.5.0\user.config? Doesn't it have private keys?

BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2018

Yeah, I'm not prying,  I was curious of the automated nature.  But that isn't what's going on here.  

Next step is to follow this key situation.  Have you loaded your keys into your repo so it can authenticate directly?

Sela_Oren May 2, 2018

What do you mean load keys to the repo? I can push pull and create branches without any problems or any login prompts. 

BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2018

Okay, cool.

For your Gitflow, does that create the local branch or expect to pull down the branch already created within the Repo?

Sela_Oren May 2, 2018

No I don't see any new branches.

This is all I see: https://imgur.com/a/DeL4jLE

BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2018

Did you try to copy the data to another directory?  

If the data was copied, the supporting files that enable all the 'git flow' features to work might not be present.  

Sela_Oren May 3, 2018

You mean copy the repo to another folder along with the .git folder? 

BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2018

Copying the folder shouldn't be the method.  This should be handled by gitflow.  

And this method, utilizing gitflow, works normally?  What is the change that is different?

Sela_Oren May 6, 2018

I don't understand the question. 

If I start a new feature from the latest dev branch it works fine, but if I want to start a feature from the current working branch then I get the error I mentioned. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events