Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clone of Stash is late.

Takenori Tanaka July 18, 2013

Although Clone of Stash was Import(ed) by EGit of Eclipse, before completing, it will take time very much.

4 answers

0 votes
Masayuki Harada July 23, 2013

Hi Charles

Thank you for your comment.

For now, I have dealt in the following ways:.

1. Create a git clone locally on TortoiseGit.

2. The one in Eclipse Import> EGit> local path.

Question.

For example, if i want to clone the source file of 50MB with 10 times modification history, Is it going to take the information of 50MBx10 = 500MB?

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2013

Hi Masayuki,

It depends on what you mean "source file". If you're talking about 50MB of _text_, and modify a line then Git will cache and transfer that very effectively. If you're talking about 50MB of a binary file then Git will may have a harder time storing the delta.

If you run 'git gc' in your local repository and then look at the size of the '.git/objects' directory you'll get an idea of how big your repository is (and see how it changes when you add a new file).

Charles

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hi Takenori,

Ahh, sorry now I understand. So you're saying when you use Eclipse it takes a while to clone, but is fine under TortoiseGit. I think the promise is more likely in the implementation of EGit, which there isn't much we can do about. EGit is almost always slower than native Git, although I'm a little surprised for cloning there is that much of a difference.

In any case my advice is to clone the repository initially in TortoiseGit (or the command line), so that it doesn't take too long, and then continue to use EGit with that repository. Doing all the operations from that point, including pulling, should be quite quick because everything is local.

Does that help?

Charles

0 votes
Takenori Tanaka July 21, 2013

Hi Charles

I'm sorry the description unexpected.

Number of files in the repository: 1391

Number of folders in the repository: 117

Total size of the repository:552MB

Network Speed: More than 10MB

By the way, I can get the repository within two minutes when I use the TortoiseGit.

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2013

Hi Takenori,

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Are you saying the clone times of the EGit repository in Stash is unexpectedly slow? Could you tell us how slow the clone is, and how big the repository is? Are you cloning over a slow network? Is the Stash server under much load? Is there anything in the Stash logs to indicate something is not behaving as expected?

Sorry for all the questions.

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events