Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forms features: What would you like to see?

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2022

What else would you like to see in the new Jira form builder? You're welcome to submit your suggestions via the support portal or as a comment below.

Use this post to share your forms ideas

To help us keep new ideas in one place, please leave your forms feature suggestions as a comment below. We'll jump in here and add our own from time to time, too. 

11 answers

Suggest an answer

5 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022
  • Integration with insight objects for selections that could then be written to insight customfields
  • Ability to have data connections values written to customfields
  • Ability to add attachments 
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2022

Definitely a vote for this!

Are data connections something that could potentially be used with an external ERP system?

I know our team is researching ERP solutions and it would be perfect if I could pull out the data to form from there.

Also, if that kind of integration would be possible, I'm trying to understand if forms support (or will support) filtering of search results?
I'm looking for something like a feature in Insight where you can configure search results IQL (based on Assignee/Owner fields or something like that).

Like Peter Preston likes this
2 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

Reporting from forms directly.

Right now we have to recreate the fields to custom fields to report on them via jql.

2 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

Thanks for sharing @Peter Preston !

I was just wondering that since a lot of Jira Server/DC users use 'Behaviors' feature from "Adaptavist ScriptRunner for Jira" app to add some dynamic features to their fields on Issue Create/Edit/Transition screens, and since 'Behaviors' feature is not available in Jira Cloud, so wouldn't it be a great idea to see what all dynamic features 'Behaviors' feature provides w.r.t. Issue Create/Edit screens or forms, and try to bring those features/abilities to Forms in Jira Software/JSM?

That would solve this lack of 'Behaviors' thing in Jira Cloud for a lot of Cloud users.

Just a thought based on my observations!

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2022

Thanks for sharing this @Taranjeet Singh ! Keep it coming :) 

I'll share this back to the team and make sure @Simon Herd sees it. 

Like Dereck likes this
1 vote
Jennifer Luo May 22, 2022

Would be awesome if the required fields had custom error messages, with a default value preset - would make it a bit easier for customers to fill in forms and know what specific values they're filling in incorrectly!

Our current workaround is to have an automation in Jira with a whole bunch of if/else statements which check all the values, before commenting on the issue what the errors are. A bit cumbersome and if any edge cases show up, that's not captured in those if/else statements.

Jennifer Luo June 7, 2022

Also wanted to add it would be nice to have an attestation question type, which would be slightly different to the checkbox question type - where you can include hyperlinks for users to click on to read about any terms & conditions / disclosures.

Alternatively, would also be nice if the checkbox question type itself has the ability to do this!

Jennifer Luo June 14, 2022

Could we also introduce an equivalent for the old Proforma feature where we could write the entity property of locked / unlocked and deleting forms? This is crucial in our workflows, but with the new Forms for Jira, we aren't able to migrate over fully.

1 vote
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2022

Hey, me again 😅

It would be great if the Paragraph question type would support adding predefined text/default answer in multiple lines. On top of that, it would be perfect if you could format the text - add bullets, bold the characters...

We're still on the ProForma app so I'm not sure if this feature is available in Forms.

2022-05-09-16-25-56.png

One, even better but a bit more complicated 'solution' would be if the Forms would support combining multiple fields (answers) from the form, into one Jira field. Maybe by using Automation?

Bharat Kalia August 2, 2023

@Tomislav Tobijas - Good Day, Do you know if there is a way in forms we can add multiple lines in the "Default Answer" field. Is this still a feature that needs to be developed? 

I have multiple lines value and needs to see if I can add bullet points on them as well.

Thanks,

-Bharat

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2023

Hi @Bharat Kalia 

Apologies for the late response - you caught me on my first day of vacation 😅

Regarding your question - I don't think they've developed that feature yet.
I've tried to check if the request is on suggestion dashboard, but I couldn't find it (although I just quickly scanned it).

Like Bharat Kalia likes this
Bharat Kalia August 14, 2023

Thank you @Tomislav Tobijas . Yes, seems like it's not available yet. 

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
1 vote
Gustavo Maia March 25, 2022

Hi Peter,

It would be really useful for our team if it were possible to create conditions based in more than one field for whether a section is displayed or not.

e.g:

• Field 1 is X AND field 2 is Y;
  • Field 1 is X OR field 2 is Y;

Right now we are creating the same field multiple times and using different conditions, but it adds a lot of complexity to our form and makes it harder to make adjustments later on.

Thank you!

Lucas Cirelli Lopes March 25, 2022

Also, it prevents us in some cases, from linking these fields with Jira fields, since it is currently not possible to link multiple form fields to a  single customfield.

0 votes
Iain McCarthy September 19, 2023

@Peter Preston if this thread is still active, we'd love an update on how/when we'll be able to have more width control on forms. 

We are using forms more and more for detail-heavy teams like Finance who have many rows and columns in their tabular form input. The current width restrictions are incredibly limiting and are the #1 complaint from our users. 

Would love to see the full Confluence editor be applied to forms (full width, split column etc) - is there any hope?

I have watched and voted for JSDCLOUD-4037 , JSDCLOUD-2410  - these appear stalled. 

Many thanks, Iain

0 votes
Jennifer Luo August 8, 2023

Would also be great to see the ability to set the conditional sections to display based on specified attributes from Assets - e.g. requesting for access on productionised software vs dev only software, based on an attribute Environments that has values e.g. PROD, DEV

So if the value PROD is in Environments, then when an application is chosen, an additional conditional section will display with more questions

0 votes
William Johnson June 6, 2022

Hi,

I would like to suggest that forms be accessible via the JIRA cloud mobile app. We have many of our technicians out in school buildings, classroom to classroom. We have most of our request types using Forms and our agents can not view any of the submitted form data on the mobile app when viewing an issue. Also they cannot edit or submit a form using the mobile app for internal request goes that we use the conditional logic the Forms do so well. 

0 votes
Matt Lane May 24, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston ,

We are currently awaiting our migration of existing ProForma app data to the native JSM version of Forms. So I can't speak of the current state of these items, but I am curious to know where these might sit in the roadmap at the moment? (or if they have been addressed already).

These are our top items, outside of those which are already been outlined as coming soon:

• User-Picker field permissions behaviour needs to be updated to be the exact same as when a User-Picker field has been applied in the native JSM request type area of a portal form.
    • In other words, if a user is non-licenced and ONLY has site access to use the organisation's JSM portal, they can still choose all the same people in the user-picker as licenced users. Currently ProForma user-picker fields suffer from complications around permissions that prevent us using user-pickers in our ProForma portions of our request forms in our Portal. 
  • Date field display format needs to support the Date/Time format that has been set in the Atlassian site settings by administrators.
    • Currently our date fields in our ProForma forms will display to the end-user as MM/DD/YYYY format , when our site is definitely configured for DD/MM/YYYY format - and date fields elsewhere in native Jira forms reflect the set format.
  • Support for Cascading Fields field type in ProForma, currently cascading fields can be used in native Jira request form, but not added in ProForma form builder.

Many thanks - any news on these items would be super!

Regards,

Matt

Matt Lane May 24, 2022

Oh, just noticed you had replied on the Cascading fields on someone else's comment. But still love to hear status on other two. Cheers!

Matt

0 votes
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2022

Another feature idea that just came to the mind was that it would be cool if Forms would support cascading fields (2-level at least but could be more as well).

Jira does support this, and one use case for us would be to specify a location (office location & office room) for reported issues for the IT department. We also have one use case where we use continent + country values and cascading field really helps to filter stuff out.

Hiding sections in forms and adding different levels would be a workaround atm.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2022

Thanks @Tomislav Tobijas !

Yes! This is a great suggestion and one we're thinking about. I know it's on the product team's backlog.

Sharing your post with the team.

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston

Any chance you can provide info about Forms supporting Cascading fields? We're receiving more and more requests/questions from our clients about this feature.

Cheers,
Tom

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2022

Hi @Tomislav Tobijas I don't have anything I can share right now. Are you able to share specific queries that I can pass on to the product team? That may help nudge them to prioritize cascading fields ;) 

No need to share client names or companies. Any use cases or request language would be helpful. 

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston

No worries. The queries we're receiving are similar to the one I mentioned earlier. Requests are usually in the context of it's possible to display different results/select options, based on the previous value selection. For example, based on the location selection, display a specific set of printers.

The way we do this now is via sections and conditions, but these are not always necessary. As we currently need to add new sections and new (Jira) custom fields, this usually leads to long form that can be difficult to edit and a lot of custom fields that stack up in the Jira administration part.

Anyway, as I've mentioned, there is a workaround people can use, and I guessed the feature suggestion is not high on the priority list so I just wanted to check if there's any status update on it.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2022

I would love to see cascading fields, too, @Tomislav Tobijas :) 

The workaround is ok, but it can complicate forms. Your suggested workaround is the best we can do at the moment and I understand what you mean about requiring custom fields, sections, etc. 

Don't be shy to poke me on here. Happy to provide an update if I can.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events