Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crucible service permission denied using port 80

dhandu June 15, 2012

I've tried to change my crucible application port from default 8060 to :80 thru admin =>server page, but if I restart the crucible servce by admin user (not a root ) after I changed the port i got this error, but root user it works, I am looking for admin user the service should run, Please share with me your ideas..

,564 WARN - failed ProxyPassingSelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:80: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
,564 WARN - failed ProxyPassingSelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:80: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
564 WARN - failed Server@433b433b: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
564 WARN - failed Server@433b433b: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
564 ERROR - Could not start server: Permission denied
java.net.SocketException: Permission denied

Thx

Dandu

1 answer

5 votes
TimT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2012

UNIX-based operating systems by design do not normally allow non-root users to bind to ports less than 1024.

We don't recommend running Crucible or other Java applications as the root user, as Java does not provide a way for applications to change to a less-privileged user after binding to the port (as a normal UNIX daemon would) so the entire application would run with root privileges when started by the root user.

Instead, we recommend that you integrate with Apache or another front-end web server that can bind to port 80 natively, and proxy to Crucible running on port 8080.

There are instructions for this at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Integrating+with+Other+Web+Servers

dhandu June 16, 2012

Thank you for your input.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events