Subversion, FishEye/Crucible (the Source + Review Bundle) on OnDemand End of Service

Viewing page 3 of 3

72 answers

0 votes
Paul O'Flynn May 13, 2013

Thx Helen & Peter for some really good info.

One other question - is this really the best place to ask migration related questions? Isn't there a proper forum somewhere? I'm anticpating having a lot of qs and am very interested in 'real world' experiences like Peter's.

Paul

0 votes
Colin May 13, 2013

I agree with Peter - this is a huge imposition, especially on small software companies that really do not have the resources for this forced migration :-(

Peter Drier May 13, 2013

I'm not so much against the migration itself.. git has promise and a year should be long enough for folks to plan around.. I'm just annoyed at having to setup every user individually, migration instructions which are wrong and misleading, and the loss of some of the fisheye functionality (reports on the repository)

0 votes
hhung May 13, 2013

To answer your questions @Paul O'Flynn (I can't directly respond to you above because you made yours as a comment and not a question... I think):

1. Locking the SVN repo during backup

You can still make commits to the repo after starting the backup process. If you don't want this to happen, than you need to change the permissions of the repo. Here's more info about how to do that: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Configuring+default+repository+permissions

Once you start the backup, the screen will inform you when it's finished.

2. Creating the backup

You can create the backup/dump directly from your instance yourself. There's no need to contact us to create the dump, unless of course you run into issues during.

Cheers

Helen

Colin May 13, 2013

I agree with Peter - this is a huge imposition, especially on small software companies that really do not have the resources for this forced migration :-(

Maybe we should start an "anti-atlassian-forced-migration" Facebook group?

Peter Drier May 13, 2013

@Paul Don't bother with the backup dump file.. that instruction from Atlassian is wrong if you expect to be syncing the svn and git more than once.. if your repo isn't small or you have many users that need to learn about git, then you'll likely be doing multiple syncs to figure things out..

Basically, at the step in the instructions where you build the git from the local svn repo, point it instead directly at the svn on your jira instance.. It will take longer, but then you can do "git svn fetch" to continue getting updates from the svn repo.. (followed by a "sync-rebase" and "bitbucket-push", to push those changes to git)

if you followed their instructions, then you can only get updates from your local svn dump.. which you'll be hard pressed to update with any changes from the svn repo itself (there are no instructions I could find on how to do this)..

Shame on Atlassian for forcing this on us and doing so little to run through this on their own first..

Paul O'Flynn June 3, 2013

Are you quite sure the backup wont lock the repo?? There's a big warning on the backup page (pasted below) that seems to say otherwise.

I tried running git clone directly against the SVN repo per Peter's (very sensible sounding) suggestion but it runs for days and fails, usually due to network timeouts while trying to contact atlassian.com (dunno why, the machine isn't running out of memory or anything, but any job that runs for 3+ days is probably going to get into trouble at some point ;-). Maybe I need to somehow trim the SVN repo first..

FishEye and Crucible will be unavailable until the backup completes

FishEye/Crucible or Subversion will be unavailable while a backup is being generated. The time required to complete the backup is dependent on the size of repositories and the number of repositories and reviews in your instance. Large repositories may take several hours to complete

0 votes
Paul O'Flynn May 13, 2013

Just starting exploring migrating from SVN to git/bitbucket. Initially I'm doing a test run-through and I'm not concerned about folks checking stuff in while I'm doing my test migration. If I kick off a backup of our SVN repo will it lock the repo while the backup is running? Assuming so, how do I know how long it will run for? Also, the migration site says to do this backup/dump myself but comments from Atlassian empls elsewhere on the site say to log a support ticket to get an export, which should I do? Thx.

0 votes
Dr. Christian Knebel April 3, 2013

We have migrated some of our projects/repositories already to bitbucket and all worked fine. Two questions to this:

• Is it possible to only deactivate/delete the moved projects/repositories in our SVN that nobody commits something there accidentially?
  • How to we switch the "connection" between JIRA onDemand and SVN to onDemand and Bitbucket (that for every issue the source changed are shown in the tab at the end of the issue)?
hhung April 4, 2013

Hi Christian,

In answering your questions:

1. Yes - you can make particular repos read-only within JIRA adminstration. Instructions on how to do this can be found here: http://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/Switch

2. This "connection" should be automatic once you've got Bitbucket working and linked to OnDemand. If you followed the proper migration steps to Bitbucket, then JIRA and Bitbucket would have been automatically configured to speak to each other. Otherwise you will need to set up the DVCS connector yourself: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Linking+Bitbucket+and+GitHub+accounts+to+JIRA

Bitbucket can be run in parallel with your SVN if you've still got that running. As long as you have made a commit, it should show within the Commit tab.

Hope that helps, cheers!

Helen

0 votes
hhung April 3, 2013

Hi Colin, thanks for raising your concerns and feedback, which are all very valid. I apologise for putting your team in this position. We obviously don't like to upset our customers and we were aware that this wasn't going to be a easy migration for you all. As I'm sure you can guess, this was not an easy decision for us to make. We realise this forces a decision point for our customers such as yourself to migrate or move off of our service. We came to the conclusion that maintaining multiple hosted repository support for both DVCS and Subversion was untenable for us for the long term and would not allow us to focus and improve the overall service for all customers.

If it helps, we added some Git/Hg training guides on the migration microsite if you decide to make the switch: http://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/training/Training+Home

Have you considered the option of staying with SVN? There is still the option of going down the path of using FishEye/Crucible Download. Whilst you may not be able to host this on your own server being a small company, we do have partners that may be of service to provide hosting for you: http://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/godvcs/Help (see the right column for list of experts).

In relation to having the migration option being final: this is to emphasise to customers not to take this decision making process lightly.

Again, thank you for your feedback for what it's worth, we appreciate your support and the time you've spent providing us your thoughts. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers, Helen

0 votes
Colin March 28, 2013

BTW, Sorry to be so difficult, but why is the migration option once selected, final - what's the rationale for that given that it's quite possible that after starting down one path we decide we'd like to change - that doesn't seem to be a very "agile" approach - Thx Colin.

0 votes
Colin March 28, 2013

FWIW

Am I the only one concerned about this forced migration for small software companies who do not really have the resources to move from SVN to git and to manage things afterwards?

I know it's all very exciting, but git is very different from SVN and we have just two employees with some prior git experience - (neither a real git expert) .

And both have witnessed the git repository getting screwed up - 3 times at two different companies over the course of about 14 months - it took many, many hours of work by real git experts to get things working again.

(And we've never seen this happen with a combined experience of probably 10+ years with SVN)

Bottom line, I think this forced migration policy is an extremely high risk endeavor for small software companies with no real git experience and because they don't have experience with git they don't know what they're getting into.

0 votes
Justen Stepka [Atlassian] March 12, 2013

Hi Ron,

The usernames and groups in OnDemand and Bitbucket do not need to be the same.

What I think you may be referring to is the mapping of your old subversion username commits to the new code hosting system, Bitbucket. Git and Mercurial map commits based on email addresses, not usernames. If you would like the historical commits properlly mapped to your new Bitbucket users when converting your Subversion code, you will need to either do one of the following:

1. Have the 'first.lastname5 = firstname lastname1 <firstname.lastname1@companyname.com>' address match the registered email address in Bitbucket
  2. Have the Bitbucket user validate a second email address that matches the specific email mapping -- Bitbucket let a user associate multiple email addresses with a single account.
  3. Setup an email commit alias for your Bitbucket repository

Hope this answers your question!

Nanda Kumar March 12, 2013

Hi Justen,
Thank you for the response and the tip link. Good to know that email addresses are used not username for integration between jira and bitbucket. Most of the usernames are already taken or the issue was we use firstname.lastname as usernames in OnDemand. But Bitbucket does not allow the '.' (dot/period) for its usernames.

Thank you once again for the support.

0 votes
Nanda Kumar March 6, 2013

Hi,
I have a query on user invitation on Bitbucket for migration. After you create the team account from my.attlissian.com the users needs to be invited to the groups. Should the group names and/or usernames <emailaddress> be same as in OnDemand.

For e.g. we have say 'developer' group with 5 users in OnDemand using SVN. The authors file will be generated for these 5 users with usernames and emailids as in OnDemand SVN. Like:
first.lastname1 = firstname lastname1 <firstname.lastname1@companyname.com>
to
first.lastname5 = firstname lastname1 <firstname.lastname1@companyname.com>

When you create groups and invite users on BitBucket is it necessary that the group name should be 'developers' and the invitations should be send for the above mailids itself. And when the users accept invitation and sign up for accounts should they be using the same usernames as in OnDemand?

0 votes
Jim Reid December 11, 2012

Hey guys,

One thing I really like about our current Atlassian setup (we have Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, and Fisheye) is that we can use the Fisheye "hooks" to trigger/update changes in Jira Issues tickets (like comments and time spent).

Running local versions of Fisheye is not an option for my company, so I am wondering how I will get this functionality with the changes that are coming in October of next year.

Thanks much in advance,

Jim Reid

aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2012

This functionaility is available through the DVCS connector that is configured and included within your OnDemand instance. Setting up Bitbucket OnDemand will automatically configure this for you even. For more information as to how this now works, please review our docs.

0 votes
Joni December 11, 2012

Hi,

we've been using JIRA/Subversion integration (i.e. issue linking) extensively. Are we going to lose several years worth of backlog on which JIRA issues are related to which changes in the codebase, and who did those changes, if we migrate away from Subversion/Fisheye?

And will we lose that information anyway, if we decide to migrate to self-hosted Subversion instead? In fact, FishEye/Crucible stuff is nice-to-have in the first place, but maintaning the "source history" is critical for our software development process.

aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2012

In the migration process, you'll be exporting your entire history to a different system. This will, of course, include the commit messages with that history including the JIRA issue keys that you've mentioned and the user's who performed the commits. Look over the guide for full details on how to do this.

Lastly, you have a full year for the migration and we recommend you perform some testing in advance anyway. Take some time to perform some test migrations to see if the data is how you expect it.

0 votes
Cody Christofferson December 3, 2012

I am planning out the move of my company's svn repo to git. One of the issues we have had in the past is that Jira breaks if we open a ticket that had code committed against a tag or branch that no longer exists. With that in mind, what can we expect once I have our repo moved into git? Will we be unable to work with past tickets due to our svn repo no longer being active? Will Jira recognize the new repository when it tries to reference old commits?

I will be pulling over the entire svn history when I do the migration. I just need to know what little creepy crawly nasties I can expect in Jira from the move.

Thanks!

0 votes
Matt Warman November 13, 2012

My company's software development team is digesting the information in the announcement and is very excited about moving from SVN to Git. The team has asked:

"If we decide to use GitHub instead of BitBucket for SCM, will there be integration restrictions with...?"

1.) Will Atlassian OnDemand JIRA still have connectors to GitHub after the migration? Will GitHub integration still be possible and maintained going forward?

2.) Will Atlassian OnDemand Bamboo still have connectors to GitHub after the migration? Can we use our existing build plans if our source code is moved from SVN OnDemand into a GitHub repository instead of a BitBucket Git repository?

The team is very excited about the changes happening to BitBucket, but wants to ensure that they understand all of the potential ramifications to integrating issue management, continuous integration, etc. when they make a choice regarding source code management.

Thanks, Matt W

hhung November 18, 2012

Hi Matt, it's great to hear that your team is keen on embracing Git!

Regardless of whether you're using Bitbucket or Github as your SCM, Atlassian OnDemand still allows for the same integration experience. To answer your questions more specifically:

1. Yes, there is still a connection you can use between JIRA OnDemand and Github after migrating. Here's more info on how to set up the integration: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Linking+a+Bitbucket+or+GitHub+repository+with+JIRA+OnDemand

2. Yes, Bamboo OnDemand still allows you to connect any build plan to a Github repo, whether it be a direct specific or shared repository: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Specifying+the+source+repository

Hope that helps, cheers.

Helen

0 votes
Xiao Yu October 30, 2012

Once we choose the move to Bitbucket Hg migration option, do we instantly lose access to our Subversion repositories? Do we have a transition period of say a week where we can shuffle things around and troubleshoot issues?

hhung October 30, 2012

Hi Xiao

No you do not lose access. You will continue to have support and a working Subversion repository up until 15 October 2013, regardless of which migration path you choose to activate.

Thanks

Helen

0 votes
Rob Moore October 25, 2012

I'm curious if it's possible to incrementally move from SVN to Bitbucket. We'd like to do this in pieces rather than for all of our projects at once.

hhung October 25, 2012

Hi Robert, are you interested in moving to Bitbucket and using Git or Mercurial?

If Git, our migration documentation here does explain how to move from SVN on a project by project basis, as mentioned in the first sentence of that page. However, note that our Mercurial guide is structed on an entire-repo basis.

0 votes
Ian Good October 21, 2012

We signed up for an OnDemand trial on October 9th. Will we be able to utilize the hosted Subversion until End of Support or will we be required to migrate at End Of Trial ?

hhung October 22, 2012

Hi Ian, if your OnDemand trial is still ongoing and you don't cancel it, it will start charging your credit card after 30 days. If this happens, you will be able to continue using Subversion and FishEye/Crucible up until 15 October, 2013 but keep in mind that you will also need to migrate off it before 15 October, 2013.

FYI, we provide details about it in the FAQ.

0 votes
Viacheslav Korotaiev October 19, 2012

Hello,

I'm evaluating OnDemand and I decided not to use Subversion and FishEye/Crucible.

I removed FishEye/Crucible for all users in JIRA Admin > User Management > Application Access and I disabled FishEye/Crucible in: JIRA Admin > User Management > Default Application Access but I can still see the "FishEye + Crucible" in the app switcher:

Is it possible to completely remove Subversion and FishEye/Crucible from my OnDemand instance?

Thank you.

Viacheslav

hhung October 21, 2012

Hi Viacheslav

If you want to stop using FishEye + Crucible completely and have it disappear from your navigation there, then you'll need to log into my.atlassian.com and cancel your FishEye + Crucible subscription. After you cancel, you will no longer be charged for FishEye + Crucible and it will subsequently be removed from your OnDemand instance (this should take approx 10mins for it to take effect).

Cheers

Helen

Viacheslav Korotaiev October 21, 2012

Hello Helen,

I can see that FishEye/Crucible OnDemand evaluation is active for my account

but when I press Configure there is no option to deactivate it

I remember it was there before but it seems that the option to configure this product disappeared after October 15th. I think it should be displayed at least for those customers who are already using FishEye/Crucible so they could deactivate it. Right?

Kind regards,

Viacheslav

hhung October 21, 2012

Hi Viacheslav

You're right, it should appear - that's a mistake on our end which we're putting a fix into the system today. In a few hours, you should be able to see it appear as a line item that you can then deactivate. Apologies for the error!

That's great. Thank you. Will wait for a fix.

Viacheslav

FishEye / Crucible / SVN option is displayed now.

But when I press Deactivate and then Apply Changes the Processing dialog stucks and I get the following error in the Chrome debug console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) https://my.atlassian.com/ondemand/applyChanges?id=...&selectedOrderables=... (I put ellipsises because I'm not sure if it is safe to show post the real data here)

Viacheslav

hhung October 22, 2012

Hi Viacheslav, I think you unfortunately tried to deactive it when we were making another fix, would you mind trying again the next time you get the chance? I am told it should be working fine now. Sorry for the trouble, thanks!

Viacheslav Korotaiev October 22, 2012

It worked this time. Thank you!

Viacheslav Korotaiev October 22, 2012

Hello Helen,

Another minor issue I noticed.

When I create a new user I get an email:

Subject: [JIRA] Username Conflict Notification

There was an error granting default application access to the new user 'testuser01'

We were unable to grant the user access to the following application(s):

• FishEye/Crucible

To edit application access settings, visit https://selenasoft.atlassian.net/secure/admin/user/ApplicationAccessConfig!default.jspa.

I already have FishEye/Crucible disabled. The account created works fine.

Kind regards,

Viacheslav

hhung October 22, 2012

Hey Viacheslav, that's a bit odd. Do you mind raising a support case for it at https://support.atlassian.com and we can look into it further there.

Thanks, Helen

0 votes
Viacheslav Korotaiev October 19, 2012

Hello,

I'm evaluating OnDemand and I decided not to use Subversion and FishEye/Crucible.

I removed FishEye/Crucible for all users in JIRA Admin > User Management > Application Access and I disabled FishEye/Crucible in: JIRA Admin > User Management > Default Application Access but I can still see the "FishEye + Crucible" in the app switcher:

Is it possible to completely remove Subversion and FishEye/Crucible from my OnDemand instance?

Thank you.

Viacheslav

0 votes
Ben October 16, 2012

Will BitBucket be integrated into JIRA like fisheye/crucible is now? Where can we see a comparison of what we will lose/gain as far as the features go?

0 votes
Ben October 16, 2012

Will BitBucket be integrated into JIRA like fisheye/crucible is now? Where can we see a comparison of what we will lose/gain as far as the features go?

hhung October 16, 2012

Hi, you can see a comparison between the main features of FishEye/Crucible and Bitbucket in our FAQ here.

What integration points were you referring to about Bitbucket and JIRA? We explain what the current integrations are here. Let me know if you have any further questions, thanks.

rfholt November 29, 2012

We use JIRA integrated with Subversion/Fisheye/Crucible in OnDemand. Will BitBucket be integrated the same way? For example, when we commit a change using Subversion, we include a JIRA issue number which then links the Issue to the Source Code and vice versa. Will this linkage capability still exist when we convert? Thanks.

hhung December 2, 2012

Hi @rosemary I believe you are referring to the feature of Smart Commits. This feature is also available in Bitbucket OnDemand - check out more info about how to get it working: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Enabling+DVCS+smart+commits

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2012

Hello there!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events