Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SVN Indexing slow on changesets involving a large number of files

Sempla IT June 30, 2013

Hi all,

I've just started using Fisheye 3.0.1.

I noticed that SVN repository indexing is slow AND CPU intensive which sounded strange to me, so I did some sampling.

The SVN repository is available via HTTPS which is known to be slow, so I expected bad IO performance but not a steady 100% CPU usage.

I found out that during SVN indexing Fisheye is often executing com.cenqua.fisheye.svn.util.ChangePathUtil.isSubPath(..), which consumes 100% of a CPU.

Typical stack trace:

at java.lang.String.equals(String.java:1017)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.svn.util.ChangePathUtil.isSubPath(ChangePathUtil.java:18)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2MessageContext.isApplicableChangePath(Svn2MessageContext.java:109)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2MessageContext.getApplicableChangePaths(Svn2MessageContext.java:153)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2MessageContext.isPartOfAdd(Svn2MessageContext.java:428)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Infill2Processor.getInfo(Svn2Infill2Processor.java:363)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Infill2Processor.infillChangeSet(Svn2Infill2Processor.java:187)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Infill2Processor.access$100(Svn2Infill2Processor.java:78)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Infill2Processor$1.perform(Svn2Infill2Processor.java:121)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Infill2Processor$1.perform(Svn2Infill2Processor.java:110)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.cache.BaseRevisionCache.withDbWriteLock(BaseRevisionCache.java:967)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Infill2Processor.process(Svn2Infill2Processor.java:110)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Scanner.slurpRepository(Svn2Scanner.java:210)
	at com.atlassian.fisheye.svn.Svn2Scanner.doSlurpTransaction(Svn2Scanner.java:177)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.BaseRepositoryScanner.ping(BaseRepositoryScanner.java:85)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.BaseRepositoryEngine.doSlurp(BaseRepositoryEngine.java:92)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.RepositoryEngine.slurp(RepositoryEngine.java:408)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.ping.IndexingPingRequest.doRequest(IndexingPingRequest.java:25)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.ping.IncrementalPingRequest.doRequest(IncrementalPingRequest.java:30)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.ping.PingRequest.process(PingRequest.java:58)
	at com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.RepositoryHandle.processPingRequests(RepositoryHandle.java:228)

Is there any fine tuning that I can do via configuration of the repository?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Marco

4 answers

1 vote
Sempla IT July 2, 2013

Hi Nick,

thanks for your reply. I started indexing from a higher changeset and solved the problem in this way.

BTW, changesets that count 10K files, as an order of magnitude, are still slow but Fisheye processes them without major issues.

The problem with 300k files changesets is that CPU is almost constantly at 100%, suggesting me that com.cenqua.fisheye.svn.util.ChangePathUtil.isSubPath(..) is working on in-memory objects. Also, heap occupation grows and exceeds -Xmx1g settings (no user activity). This makes me suspect that com.cenqua.fisheye.svn.util.ChangePathUtil.isSubPath (or the code block that invokes it) could be further optimized.

Slow indexing because of poor IO is not currently a major concern for me, what's more important IMHO is not having a direct dependency between changeset size and heap occupation.

Thanks again, regards.

Marco

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

Hi Marco - 300k files is indeed a huge changeset.

Has FishEye finished processing this changeset now and your CPU cooled down a little ?

Further, indexing will be much faster for you if you can use svnsync to sync your svn repo local to the fisheye server.

Cheers,

Nick

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

Hi,

There are some configurations that can be done to tune your FishEye instance.

They are described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Tuning+FishEye+performance

Please give it a try. :D

0 votes
Sempla IT June 30, 2013

I found out that this is happening while processing a huge changeset (300k files).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events