Mails to reviewers when a review was added/modified

We are using Crucible for our code reviews. We would like to send mails to reviewers when a review was added/modified. I configured SMTP server and the test mail was successful in mail config settings. Also, user settings are looking good. But reviewers are not receiving any mails. Am I missing anything here? Appreciate all the help in this regard.

2 answers

0 vote

There is a number of issues causing the trouble.  I would start from:

1. check if the users are having correct email addresses configured in their profiles.  Go to Admin / User Settings / Users and check their email addresses there
  2. check their profile settings.  I know you mentioned that looked fine, but double check their Profile / Review settings.  Notice there are 3 settings for each review activity: No, Immediate and Batch.  No means obviously no emails would be sent, Immediate is obvious, Batch means mails will be sent in batches, every 30 minutes.
  3. check if the emails are not landing in their SPAM folders - perhaps you have some aggressive spam filters in place?
  4. if still unsuccessful, consider testing if the emails are leaving Crucible servers - perhaps mails are queued in the SMTP server?  You can try with for example.  Start it with the 

java -jar fakeSMTP-version.jar

pick up a port (e.g. 2525), configure fisheye to connect to SMTP on localhost:2525 (assuming you're running fakeSMTP on the same server as FishEye) and try adding content to reviews again.  If you see email in the fakeSMTP application it means mails are being sent, but you need to chase down why they are not being delivered to users' inboxes.

Hope that helps, 

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the response. I checked users settings and I do not see any problem with them.

I tried FakeSMTP as you suggested. I used Send test mail under mail config to send a mail. It was successful and I can see the mail in the Mails list(In FakeSMTP). But when I created review, the mails are not being sent to reviewers(no mails in Mails list in FakeSMTP). Any other ways I can try to understand the actual issue?

Hi vk, Please do notice creating a review does not trigger any email. You need to open the review so it transitions from Draft to Open state, this transition will trigger emails. Can you try opening review, please?

Thank you Piotr. I opened review. It is not in Draft state. Its state changed to "Under Review for a few seconds". But still it is not working. I don't know where I am going wrong.

Hi vk, If you opened a review, there are reviewers added to that review and the reviewers didn't disable notification event for "State change" in their profiles, then they definitely should receive email notifications which you should be able to intercept in the FakeSMTP for instance. This should be sent within few minutes at the latest, or within 30 minutes if reviewers opted for batched notifications. If you followed that and still receive no emails please raise this with our support team by creating issue in project. Hope that helps,

you may also want to check your instance logs (in FISHEYE_INST/var/log folder), perhaps there is some indication why the emails are not being sent?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

304 views 6 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot