Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mails to reviewers when a review was added/modified

vk January 22, 2015

Hi

We are using Crucible for our code reviews. We would like to send mails to reviewers when a review was added/modified. I configured SMTP server and the test mail was successful in mail config settings. Also, user settings are looking good. But reviewers are not receiving any mails. Am I missing anything here? Appreciate all the help in this regard.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Configuring+SMTP

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Changing+your+User+Profile#

Thanks,

vk

2 answers

0 votes
vk January 30, 2015

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the response. I checked users settings and I do not see any problem with them.

I tried FakeSMTP as you suggested. I used Send test mail under mail config to send a mail. It was successful and I can see the mail in the Mails list(In FakeSMTP). But when I created review, the mails are not being sent to reviewers(no mails in Mails list in FakeSMTP). Any other ways I can try to understand the actual issue?

Thanks,

vk

Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2015

Hi vk, Please do notice creating a review does not trigger any email. You need to open the review so it transitions from Draft to Open state, this transition will trigger emails. Can you try opening review, please?

vk February 1, 2015

Thank you Piotr. I opened review. It is not in Draft state. Its state changed to "Under Review for a few seconds". But still it is not working. I don't know where I am going wrong.

Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2015

Hi vk, If you opened a review, there are reviewers added to that review and the reviewers didn't disable notification event for "State change" in their profiles, then they definitely should receive email notifications which you should be able to intercept in the FakeSMTP for instance. This should be sent within few minutes at the latest, or within 30 minutes if reviewers opted for batched notifications. If you followed that and still receive no emails please raise this with our support team by creating issue in https://support.atlassian.com/browse/CRC project. Hope that helps,

Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2015

you may also want to check your instance logs (in FISHEYE_INST/var/log folder), perhaps there is some indication why the emails are not being sent?

0 votes
Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2015

Hi,

There is a number of issues causing the trouble.  I would start from:

1. check if the users are having correct email addresses configured in their profiles.  Go to Admin / User Settings / Users and check their email addresses there
  2. check their profile settings.  I know you mentioned that looked fine, but double check their Profile / Review settings.  Notice there are 3 settings for each review activity: No, Immediate and Batch.  No means obviously no emails would be sent, Immediate is obvious, Batch means mails will be sent in batches, every 30 minutes.
  3. check if the emails are not landing in their SPAM folders - perhaps you have some aggressive spam filters in place?
  4. if still unsuccessful, consider testing if the emails are leaving Crucible servers - perhaps mails are queued in the SMTP server?  You can try with https://nilhcem.github.io/FakeSMTP/ for example.  Start it with the 

java -jar fakeSMTP-version.jar

pick up a port (e.g. 2525), configure fisheye to connect to SMTP on localhost:2525 (assuming you're running fakeSMTP on the same server as FishEye) and try adding content to reviews again.  If you see email in the fakeSMTP application it means mails are being sent, but you need to chase down why they are not being delivered to users' inboxes.

Hope that helps, 
Piotr 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events