Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fisheye installation

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Hi

I have recently installed fisheye on linux environment.

I am trying to change the bind port from the default port 8060 to port 80 (so that i dont have to give port number in the URL)

When i change the port in the config.xml it does not accept port 80 (fishey does not start with port 80)

If I give any other port (say 8061, 8062, 8080 etc..) in the config.xml, it works (fisheye starts normally)

How can i get fisheye to start up on port 80?

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2014

Hi Rahul,

In *nix systems ports in range 1..1023 are called privileged ports and only processes owned by root user would be able to bind to those ports. I'm guessing this is the reason why you can't run your server on port 80.

There are few alternatives you can consider to solve this problem:

• start FishEye as a root user - NOT RECOMMENDED, this is considered bad practice from security perspective, potential JVM vulnerabilities can be used by malicious attackers to take control of your machine
  • set up reverse proxy on port 80 that would internally route all the traffic to FishEye instance listening on non privileged port. Typically nginx or apache server would be used, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Integrating+with+other+web+servers
  • alternatively you could set up web server (apache, nginx, etc.) on port 80 which would automatically redirect clients to unprivileged port

I hope that helps.
Kind regards,
Piotr

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014

Thanks Piotr, we got round this problem by setting up reverse proxy in front of fisheye server.

Rahul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events