Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FishEye-Crucible support

AparnaN September 20, 2016

We have FishEye-Crucible license as we have mix of CVCS and DVCS repositories. We heard/read that Atlassian is planning to stop FishEye Crucible and provide its CVCS support features in Stash/Bitbucket itself.

We wanted to choose one of the tool (Bitbucket or Fisheye-Crucible)considering its log term support. We understand that Bitbucket supports only Git for now so we may also start migrating projects from CVS to Git if required.

Please suggest which one is better choice.

4 answers

2 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2016

Main Bitbucket Server feature is hosting Git repositories (and it offers much more than simple 'git clone' - project/repository/branch permissions, load balancing, Git LFS ...). In addition to this it offers other functionalities, such as code reviews based on pull requests. There are no plans to add any legacy versioning systems (such as CVS or SVN) to Bitbucket.

Main FishEye / Crucible features are: repository search engine and flexible code reviews (branches, single commits, attachments, patches etc). Please note that FishEye / Crucible does not host Git repositories (it makes a clone for indexing purposes, but this is not hosting like Bitbucket offers). FishEye / Crucible supports both DVCS (Git, Mercurial) and VCS (SVN, CVS, Perforce) repositories; it's even possible to write a plugin for custom repository type. We have no plans to stop development of FishEye / Crucible - there are many companies using a mixture of Git/Hg/SVN/CVS/P4 repositories and having all of them in a single tool is invaluable.

Regarding your question: "Please suggest which one is better choice". It's up to you to perform analysis what are your requirements. But let me share few hints from my side:

• Do you have all repositories in Git and do you perform code reviews based on pull requests (and don't need other options)? If yes, then probably Bitbucket Server will be sufficient for you.
  • Do you need to have more flexible code reviews or reviews on sources from non-Git repositories? If yes, then probably FishEye and Crucible will serve your needs.
  • Do you want to both keep using old repositories (e.g. CVS) and need a good tool to host new Git repositories? If yes, then probably having Bitbucket Server + FishEye + Crucible is a solution. 

0 votes
stangladkov September 29, 2016

Hi Aparna Nigdikar,

Stan, FishEye & Crucible Product Manager is here. I never heard that Atlassian is going to EOL any of mentioned above products, nothing like that is going to happen in the nearest future, AFAIK.

Regarding the choice you're facing, here in Atlassian we're recommending the following:

• if your team is Git-only - go ahead and try Bitbucket
  • if your team uses multiple SCMs - FishEye & Crucible can be your solution

The final call is always yours. I would like to learn more about your expectations from the software to help you to choose the right path. Feel free to share it with me and looking forward seeing you among our customers!

Cheers,

Stan 

0 votes
AparnaN September 20, 2016

I don't have reference link now. Is it true?

0 votes
Frédéric CORNU September 20, 2016

Hi, May I ask where you "heard/read that Atlassian is planning to stop FishEye Crucible" ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events