Best user management practices for Fisheye?

Courtney Dorsey July 8, 2020

Hi everyone,

We have added all users to a new directory in Crowd that syncs up with Fisheye, but I was wondering if there were any best practices you've found along the way for user management in the web interface.

Would it be to set up separate groups in Crowd for each repository/project, or set up groups in Fisheye itself for each? Or maybe just add individual users to the group?

Looking to see what others have done to make things easier. We currently only have a 50 person license, so it would be ideal to find out now before expanding.

We are currently running version 4.8.0.

Thanks all!

1 answer

3 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2020

I would use the "keep it simple" model. If it's OK for everyone to have access to everything, why restrict? If you have 3rd party QA and you only want them to see certain things, you could create "employees" and "external" groups, populate them with the appropriate users and use those two groups to manage access.  I wouldn't recommend using granular repo permissions unless you need to, though. It just seems to cause more problems than it's worth when we see clients doing this.

Assuming you are connecting Fisheye to Jira, there is a permission called "View development tools" that controls which users have the repo details show up on the associated Issue. This is useful if you want your developers to see that information, but not your business users, for example.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events