restrictions on crowd group names

Gianna Migliorisi September 16, 2014

Is there any built-in functionality to Crowd to restrict the types of characters used when creating groups?  We have an application that connects into crowd and it allows users to create groups with special characters - causing major issues for us when we do synchronizations between Crowd and JIRA.

Would like to understand if this can be prevented on the Crowd side, or if we need to build in validation on the application side.

2 answers

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

In Crowd you can define a pattern for new passwords with a regex (see here), my understanding is that you'd like something similar for group/user names, right? If so, I'm afraid to say that it doesn't exist yet in Crowd out of the box. You may want to suggest this as a new feature at jira.atlassian.com.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

0 votes
Justin Koke [Administrative Account] September 16, 2014

What issues are you seeing in JIRA? JIRA should be pretty resilient to usernames that are not using the standard ASCII set. Since JIRA supports LDAP and LDAP has a *very* broad definition of what characters can be in a named object, JIRA needs to be able to support it. It would be great to know what characters are not working atm!

One option that could work is to implement a new Custom Directory (that is a decorator to the current type that you use). You could then implement any specific logic you want to control around group names in this directory before calling the underlying directory.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/CROWDDEV/Creating+a+Custom+Directory+Connector

Gianna Migliorisi September 16, 2014

Thanks.  The issue we're having is primarily with group names, not user names.  But we have groups that look like this: {!"!

In particular, the one causing the major problem is when there are unmatched curly braces in the group name (left-hand, but no right-hand) it breaks Crowd synchronization.  Worked with support for a month to get to the bottom of that smile  Wanted to try to understand if Crowd had an OOTB way of preventing use of those characters.

JustinK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2014

Thanks for the further info here @Gianna Migliorisi! Wow, I would never expect anyone to be in a group that had that as part of the name! But as I mentioned above, there is nothing out of the box that will let you control group names, if you do want to get you hands a little dirty and write some extensions to Crowd I can think of a few ways to do this, inclusive of the option I gave you above.

joe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2014

If the problem is with unmatched braces, you may be running in to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-33170 , which has a fix available.

Gianna Migliorisi September 18, 2014

thank you @Joseph Walton ! This error was completely different from what I was receiving though, which may be why it was so annoying to track down. We need to upgrade our JIRA instance, we're running 6.0.8.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events