YUM repositories for Atlassian products

Matt Moldvan June 15, 2011

Hello,

I'd like to automate receiving updates for the Atlassian products we are currently using (JIRA, Crowd, etc) and was wondering if there is an official YUM repository we could mirror, or perhaps an "newest version" RPM I could wget from a script. Is any such sort of automation possible or am I stuck with downloading a tar file that may change location?

Thanks,
Matt Moldvan.
Linux Network Engineer
Security Inspection, Inc.

4 answers

2 votes
Jason Jason June 15, 2011

No there is no offical YUM repo, or even RPM's of Atlassian products.

But there is nothing stopping you from creating RPM's for installing atlassian products and setting up a local yum repo and host it internaly with a webserver.

Though upgrading atlassian tools is kind of complex, not many people would want to leave it to the chance of a "yum update"

Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2011
Excellent point. Atlassian suggests looking through release notes of every version between the original and the one you are upgrading to and making manual changes as needed. Despite this, they are still some of the easiest upgrades for a complex Java-based web applications I've seen. If you choose to package it, PLEASE do not rip out Tomcat and depend on the RPM version of Tomcat. IMO, RPM version of Tomcat has historically been a mess, as has been the jar hell that you find on RHEL installs: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/garysweaver/archive/2009/05/peering_into_th.html
Matt Moldvan June 20, 2011
Good point, Gary. I always worry about having software dependent on system RPMs; I prefer to have apps in a separate self-contained partition with all requirements residing in that area.
1 vote
Graham Leggett September 16, 2017
0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2014

Another way to automate the process could be using Puppet (www.puppetlabs.com). Puppet is very useful to automate tasks and create a standard for your network. You could create a script to download the .tar files and create the .rpm files by rpmbuild. After this, you could create your own repository for the Atlassian products. The advantage using puppet, is that you could manager many other things about your network, not just scripts. Also, you can use Maven as quoted before.

0 votes
Matt Moldvan June 16, 2011

Yeah. In the absence of that I'm wondering if there is a stable link that I could wget and rebuild on a regular basis. What got me on this train of thought was I installed 2.2.4 last week and checking this week I found a 2.2.7 ... would like to automate my RPM builds for our upcoming YUM repo automagically.

May take some babysitting on the script side but it's worth the time saved when we have to create multiple new VMs with the Atlassian products.

Thanks for the reply.

Jason Jason June 17, 2011
Well it seems the download links change with each version, now unless atlassian provides a latest.tgz for each product you may want to look into something like the perl module WWW::Mechanize and just pull the links out of the download pages.
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2011
Pinging our maven repository (https://maven.atlassian.com/content/repositories/atlassian-public/) might be easier than trying to scrape the download page.
Matt Moldvan June 20, 2011
Thanks, I'll check out Maven, though I haven't worked with it before.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events