YUM repositories for Atlassian products

Hello,

I'd like to automate receiving updates for the Atlassian products we are currently using (JIRA, Crowd, etc) and was wondering if there is an official YUM repository we could mirror, or perhaps an "newest version" RPM I could wget from a script. Is any such sort of automation possible or am I stuck with downloading a tar file that may change location?

Thanks,
Matt Moldvan.
Linux Network Engineer
Security Inspection, Inc.

4 answers

No there is no offical YUM repo, or even RPM's of Atlassian products.

But there is nothing stopping you from creating RPM's for installing atlassian products and setting up a local yum repo and host it internaly with a webserver.

Though upgrading atlassian tools is kind of complex, not many people would want to leave it to the chance of a "yum update"

Excellent point. Atlassian suggests looking through release notes of every version between the original and the one you are upgrading to and making manual changes as needed. Despite this, they are still some of the easiest upgrades for a complex Java-based web applications I've seen. If you choose to package it, PLEASE do not rip out Tomcat and depend on the RPM version of Tomcat. IMO, RPM version of Tomcat has historically been a mess, as has been the jar hell that you find on RHEL installs: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/garysweaver/archive/2009/05/peering_into_th.html
Good point, Gary. I always worry about having software dependent on system RPMs; I prefer to have apps in a separate self-contained partition with all requirements residing in that area.

Yeah. In the absence of that I'm wondering if there is a stable link that I could wget and rebuild on a regular basis. What got me on this train of thought was I installed 2.2.4 last week and checking this week I found a 2.2.7 ... would like to automate my RPM builds for our upcoming YUM repo automagically.

May take some babysitting on the script side but it's worth the time saved when we have to create multiple new VMs with the Atlassian products.

Thanks for the reply.

Well it seems the download links change with each version, now unless atlassian provides a latest.tgz for each product you may want to look into something like the perl module WWW::Mechanize and just pull the links out of the download pages.
Joseph Clark Atlassian Team Jun 19, 2011
Pinging our maven repository (https://maven.atlassian.com/content/repositories/atlassian-public/) might be easier than trying to scrape the download page.
Thanks, I'll check out Maven, though I haven't worked with it before.
0 votes

Another way to automate the process could be using Puppet (www.puppetlabs.com). Puppet is very useful to automate tasks and create a standard for your network. You could create a script to download the .tar files and create the .rpm files by rpmbuild. After this, you could create your own repository for the Atlassian products. The advantage using puppet, is that you could manager many other things about your network, not just scripts. Also, you can use Maven as quoted before.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

274 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot