What is the correct way to setup Crowd with existing instances of Confluence and Jira

Gary Spencer February 1, 2018

First we had Confluence and setup users in it. Then we added Jira and setup users in it. Now we have Crowd. How do we get the users from Confluence and Jira into Crowd so all the existing assigned issues, tasks, pages in Confluence etc. are the same? Backwards, I know, but that's where we are.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcin Kempa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Hi @Gary Spencer,

There are couple of questions in need to ask before I can suggest a solution. Do you have the same set of users between Jira and Confluence? Do you have the same username scheme between applications? (for example both Jira and Confluence have users with names like 'jdoe' rather than Jira have 'jdoe' and Confluence 'john.doe')

Do you want all of the users to be now in Crowd or only some subset? Were those users created manually or users accounts were created by users themselves using public signup?

If both applications contain same set of users, you can try using import feature as described here https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/importing-users-from-atlassian-jira-30736459.html and import users from one of your applications. Then as user matching is based on username itself, once you switch to Crowd directory in Jira and Confluence your users should still have access to it and history should be maintained.

I suggest testing how it works for you on some staging environment before rolling this up to production. 

Instead of removing internal directories in both applications I suggest disabling them. for now. In general it is better to administer users in one place and not duplicate them across applications. The only exception is to leave a unique sysadmin in internal directory in Jira and Confluence so you still can have access to those applications even if Crowd application cannot be reached.

Hope that helps,

Marcin Kempa

Gary Spencer February 2, 2018

Hi Marcin,

The usernames were the same in some cases but not in others. Because we are small I ended up creating new accounts in Crowd, renaming old accounts in the other apps and recreating the permissions. 

-Gary

Marcin Kempa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Thank you for reply,

I am glad that you were able to solve this problem. 

Best Regards,

Marcin Kempa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events