Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Okta SSO and Azure AD SSO plugin.

Yogeesh R
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 5, 2020

Hello All,

I am looking to have SSO integration with Re:solution plugin in Confluence. SAML Single Sign

I would like to know what are the Pros and con's using Okta or Azure AD or ADFS.

if anyone has already done comparison or why you chose Okta or Azure AD, it would be helpful for me.

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2020

Hi Yogeesh,

In terms of integration, the identity provider should work with the connector the same for any of the products you mentioned. On the backend, they all use SAML assertions to pass information to the re:solution plugin.

Firstly, I would consider ADFS if you're already working in an on-premise Active Directory environment. The ADFS setup can use your existing Domain Controller infrastructure to just run the ADFS / ADFS proxy model without too much fuss. You can of course add more servers dedicated to just ADFS, but it's entirely possible to just run the services on your existing servers. If your Confluence server and other services you want to connect with SSO are already behind a firewall and not accessible over the internet, ADFS probably makes the most sense.

If on the other hand, you have Cloud services that would benefit from SAML as well, then Okta and Azure AD are likely to be easier to set up. Here are some pro's that come to mind for each option:

Okta

• Nearly everyone supports it
  • The product is very polished and it is well-documented
  • It has lots of configuration options, but is still easy to set up

Azure AD

• Works well with Microsoft services without any configuration
  • Low/no cost if you're a heavy Office 365 organization
  • Less upkeep than ADFS because Microsoft handles the infrastructure

I found this discussion weighing the pros and cons between Okta and Azure AD as well that might be interesting to have a read through. In terms of integration with Atlassian apps / SAML for Confluence Server though, they're all pretty much equal. It's on the administration / cost side that you'll want to consider the differences between the offerings.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events