• Community
  • Products
  • Crowd
  • Questions
  • Can *JIRA* administrators add users to Crowd and add them to a *Confluence* group? Or do you have to be a Crowd administrator to do that?

Can *JIRA* administrators add users to Crowd and add them to a *Confluence* group? Or do you have to be a Crowd administrator to do that?

Following scenario: One Crowd server, three JIRA servers connected to it and six Confluence instances. If you are an administrator on ANY of those connected applications, it would appear that you can a) add new users to Crowd and b) add them to groups that have NOTHING to do with the application that you are an administrator for.

1 answer

1 accepted

Yes, so long as the default directory they are creating a user in is connected to all of those instances. All groups are pulled in directly from Crowd across all instances because they don't know what's restricted to them.

If you'd like to limit this, you could add a new directory. Additionally, you should be able to limit the LDAP filter for each instance it touches to help refine as well: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Restricting+LDAP+Scope+for+User+and+Group+Search

Thanks for your response but the bit I dont understand is the level of permission you require to add yourself to a group.
I would have thought that you neede Crowd admin permissions to add a new user in Crowd, not just a Jira admin.

Essentially what Crowd-administrator does is lets you modify/access the Crowd Administration console directly. I can see why you would feel like its sort of backwards, but the way that the Crowd directories work is that if you connect it to JIRA or Confluence, and you are a in the jira-administrator role, you should be able to create the same way as you would have. It all depends on the directory configuration.

There are ways to break this, which you can search for, but I wouldn't suggest it if you're trying to lock it down that way.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

47 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot