migrating confluence to another server (licencing and stuff)

Hi all,

First of all I will give some context to my questions. I hope that i am not overthinking this though.

We currently have one Confluence server which contains a lot of content but not structured right. This instance is also a very old release of Confluence. So i decided to install a fresh copy of Confluence on a freshly installed server.

Now comes the part where i am getting a bit stuck. I want to get the freshly installed instance to be up and running and migrate the content by copy pasting and restructuring the data by hand. I was thinking of installing a developer license on the current production instance and installing the production key on the freshly installed one. The current production instance isn't used very often (because of the current mess), so i can handle the downtime. Is this the way to go? Or are there other ways to still access the production instance while running the newer version?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I'd do roughly what you have already suggested, although the other way around.  I'd move the production licence over to the new system, as that's going to be production in the long run, and use the developer licence on the old one while you do the migrations from it.  The dev licence is intended for this sort of situation, and you won't have any issues running both.

Yea that is what i thought :-) but thanks for clearing it up!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

362 views 2 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you