migrating confluence to another server (licencing and stuff)

Michael Schouman July 27, 2015

Hi all,

First of all I will give some context to my questions. I hope that i am not overthinking this though.

We currently have one Confluence server which contains a lot of content but not structured right. This instance is also a very old release of Confluence. So i decided to install a fresh copy of Confluence on a freshly installed server.

Now comes the part where i am getting a bit stuck. I want to get the freshly installed instance to be up and running and migrate the content by copy pasting and restructuring the data by hand. I was thinking of installing a developer license on the current production instance and installing the production key on the freshly installed one. The current production instance isn't used very often (because of the current mess), so i can handle the downtime. Is this the way to go? Or are there other ways to still access the production instance while running the newer version?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2015

I'd do roughly what you have already suggested, although the other way around.  I'd move the production licence over to the new system, as that's going to be production in the long run, and use the developer licence on the old one while you do the migrations from it.  The dev licence is intended for this sort of situation, and you won't have any issues running both.

Michael Schouman July 27, 2015

Yea that is what i thought :-) but thanks for clearing it up!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events