how to grant time-limited access only to confluence – time-permission

for a certain number of users we plan to grant only a limited time of working hours wherein employees can access confluence.

Does anyone has an basic idea of how such a task could be achieved.

I think a user would still need to log in to check time-permission but to redirect him to a "timeout message page" with no further access instead of entering dashboard.

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

----

Update 8. Jul. 2011

Thanks for all of your suggestions until now. I did some testing with reporting-plugin meanwhile. My setup is now as follows:

An employee becomes a member of a timeout-group. I check this group membership on a global bases and I did set a time-frame which will be checked against global time. If the user belongs to this group and he is not within this time-frame, he will be redirected to a specific page that shows a timeout message and than redirects this user again to the log-out page.

This works now for working hours and for saturdays and sundays. I would need to embed a calendar to get a fully working version of this setup, because I would need to embed all kinds of holidays too – quite complicated.

May you have more suggestions of how to achieve such a task.

3 answers

1 accepted

Imho the most straight forward way would be a servlet-filter. That filter checks whether the user is allowed to use confluence at that time and redirect the user to a page about the usage restrictions.

OK – would I need to program a plug-in using a servlet-filter or is there anything available that just needs to be modified?

David Simpson Community Champion Jul 03, 2011

This would be custom development.

As David says, I am not aware of any plugin which already does that. (Unless the Adaptavist guys have something in their magic hat ;-)

You should be able to script external timed batched processes to add and remove users from groups (etc) using the Confluence Command Line Interface tool. (I have not tried it...)

This could block their login totally or restrict them to (say) a single read-only space.

That seems like it might be a bit of a dodgy plan if you have a large number of users you were bouncing between groups on a twice daily basis.

We solved this meanwhile by training the personnel in entcroachment or violations of copyright and its consequences and limited access to certain spaces – but NSA made us aware of that there is no working data security excisting, so we have to trust our personnel and get rid of those we cant trust.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

698 views 21 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you