how to grant time-limited access only to confluence – time-permission

Klaus Feldmann July 3, 2011

for a certain number of users we plan to grant only a limited time of working hours wherein employees can access confluence.

Does anyone has an basic idea of how such a task could be achieved.

I think a user would still need to log in to check time-permission but to redirect him to a "timeout message page" with no further access instead of entering dashboard.

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

----

Update 8. Jul. 2011

Thanks for all of your suggestions until now. I did some testing with reporting-plugin meanwhile. My setup is now as follows:

An employee becomes a member of a timeout-group. I check this group membership on a global bases and I did set a time-frame which will be checked against global time. If the user belongs to this group and he is not within this time-frame, he will be redirected to a specific page that shows a timeout message and than redirects this user again to the log-out page.

This works now for working hours and for saturdays and sundays. I would need to embed a calendar to get a fully working version of this setup, because I would need to embed all kinds of holidays too – quite complicated.

May you have more suggestions of how to achieve such a task.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2011

Imho the most straight forward way would be a servlet-filter. That filter checks whether the user is allowed to use confluence at that time and redirect the user to a page about the usage restrictions.

Klaus Feldmann July 3, 2011

OK – would I need to program a plug-in using a servlet-filter or is there anything available that just needs to be modified?

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 3, 2011

This would be custom development.

Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2011

As David says, I am not aware of any plugin which already does that. (Unless the Adaptavist guys have something in their magic hat ;-)

0 votes
Klaus Feldmann December 2, 2013

We solved this meanwhile by training the personnel in entcroachment or violations of copyright and its consequences and limited access to certain spaces – but NSA made us aware of that there is no working data security excisting, so we have to trust our personnel and get rid of those we cant trust.

0 votes
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2011

You should be able to script external timed batched processes to add and remove users from groups (etc) using the Confluence Command Line Interface tool. (I have not tried it...)

This could block their login totally or restrict them to (say) a single read-only space.

Laura Kolker
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2011

That seems like it might be a bit of a dodgy plan if you have a large number of users you were bouncing between groups on a twice daily basis.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events