It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

find/replace emoticon

i have a confluence page with a table i have copied in from a spreadsheet. the cells contain or . i would like them to contain the confluence emoticons check.png and error.png (shorthand for entry (/) or (x) ). if i find and replace it with (/) then i just get (/) literally in the cell.

how can i insert emoticons via find/replace?

1 answer

Hi @Paul Joyce 

Short answer NO if you are using the old editor. The Replace field doesn't allow images and doesn't recognize the (/) as a shortcut. It sees that as the characters to be replaced. You can copy the new emoticon and paste over selected check, but it will be a manual process. 

And it is a NO if using the new editor in confluence as it does not have the basic function of Search and Replace. For some bizarre reason Atlassian have removed it from the editor. :-(

However, you can in the new editor add your own emoji(s), give them a name (a couple of characters or a word) and then add them relatively quickly to your tables or pages by typing : and selecting it from the list OR typing : followed by shortcut character(s).

Note: the shortcut name cannot contain brackets. 

It is not the best solution but it works. 

I thought perhaps it would be easier to do the search and replace from the source document, but I see Excel or Word doesn't support pasting in a emoji either. 

- Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

283 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you