external database question

hkmiix June 15, 2018

i have a question by using external database.....

when i fresh install Confluence, i can choose trial database or external database....

As my Confluence only have 2GB ram, if i choose trial database.....it will easy to hit the ram limit.

if i choose external database and install database in different server, will it better or no different ?

please advise.

2 answers

0 votes
Gavin McDonald June 16, 2018

You may not hit your RAM limit, for a small instance of only a few spaces. And the amount of visitors you have can have an effect also. Other things to consider are things like increased disk I/O and CPU usage due to the database being a local file system.

Also note the internal database is meant for testing only and not really for production use, so you should consider an external database anyway. And 'external database' does not necessarily mean 'on another machine/VM' , it just means external to Confluence, so you could run mysql locally and connect to that, its not perfect, but certainly better than using the internal non production database. And if you backed up the mysql database off site, then even better in case recovery is needed.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2018

Hello,

You will not hit the ram limit, if you choose internal database. The internal database is also stored in the file system. It will be installed and configured by Jira automatically. You do not need to set it up. The difference with the external database is that you need to install an external database yourself and provide a connection string to the database.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events