Would like to create label hierarchies?

Chad Bell April 15, 2012

I’m a software engineer who has been contracted to evaluate possible knowledge repository solutions for a client. I’m currently looking at confluence as a potential solution, confluence is very good and meets a lot of the clients requirements. However the client requires a little more functionality then confluence offer with the current ‘label’ functionality. The client requires the ability to create a label hierarchy and then the ability to associate individual pages to a node within that hierarchy. In addition to this, a single page should have the ability to have multiple labels assigned to it.

This functionality doesn't necessarily have to fall under the functionality of labels it could be some sort of category grouping, however it is very similar to labels in that all it is is a way to index pages for easy grouping when searching for information. The clients breaks down their knowledge into particular category hierarchies but due to the nature of the data that their storing individual data can sometimes fall under multiple categories.

Does anyone know of any plugins that may do this or if Confluence will support any such functionality in the future?

Also they only want users of a particular user privilege to have the ability to manage labels\categories\tags (whatever you want to call them). Is this currently possible in Confluence?

4 answers

2 votes
UdayK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

Hi

I too thought of the same functionality. But unfortunately, Confluence is not providing this.

In Fact any logged in user may create/edit/delete the labels.

There is no Labels Permissioning system in Confluence.

0 votes
Hans-Christian Riehl July 29, 2014

You could also take a look at Drupal Wiki:

http://drupal-wiki.com/de/solutions/know-das-wissens-portal-f%C3%BCr-unternehmen-0

They offer taxonomies

(use google translator to get it in english)

0 votes
Pierre Hilson November 27, 2013

I need the same fonctionalities for my Knowledge Base.

In order to provide label management I'm currently evaluating Labels Cage and this is pretty well fitting the need.

For label hierarchy, I did not find anything yet and may do it with a script that would scan the updated pages and when a label ABC is added, add the label AB and A.

If I find anything else, or when I succeeded implementing a work-around, I'll post it here.

0 votes
Anselmo January 28, 2013

Sorry for not being able to help. But how about this functional specification, which I regard as maximum flexibility?

Standing on an article in a page hierarchy I'd wish to be able to view all labels being used in all the substructure and also the space labels.

By moving in that hierarchy the selection becomes more generic when going upwards and more specific, when moving downwards. Having found the correct level, I would like to assign a label to all underpinning articles at once. This may be a label somebody already used somewhere in the substructure or a new one.

Also, if the spelling of labels varies, I want to consolidate that by deleting one value and assigning another instead. Therefore it may be useful to move again a little in the Hierarchy. So this should always be possible.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events