Wikipedia like approvals

Wolfgang Göbl August 15, 2018

Hi,

I want to implement a simple approval functionality.

Everbody can register as a confluence user and make suggestions for new content or edit pages.

Pages are not visible to other users until they are approved by admin.

Admin uses a list of pages to be approved. Once he does so, page is visible to all users.

I need a simple, free solution for this - Comala.... are too expensive for our association.

Thanks

Wolfgang

6 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

@Wolfgang Göbl 

Like written above, first you should get a free license for your Confluence. And then, I think you can obtain a free license for any Confluence app pretty much automatically.

So, the first step is: https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/community-license-request

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2018

Hi @Wolfgang Göbl,

It sounds like you may be a non-profit organization?!

If that's the case, then you are eligible for free appl licenses, too. Did you know that? That means, if you like the  Comala app (which is the absolute leader in this problem space), then you can get that for exactly zero dollars.

Wolfgang Göbl August 17, 2018

Aron, thanks. Do you know how I can get a free license from comala?

Mike Rink
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2018

Hopping on @Aron Gombas _Midori_'s comment, you must first have a free Community license for your Atlassian products; more information about acquiring one can be found here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/community-license-request 

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2018

Hello @Wolfgang Göbl

I use Comala for this purpose, but since you want a free solution then I have a suggestion for you. Before Comala, what we were doing is that whenever someone created page in confluence then they created a Jira ticket as well in Jira and linked the Jira ticket with confluence page using Jira macro. And till the time the Jira ticket wasn't approved using workflow transitions the page wouldn't be made visible to general audience. 

Tarun thx - but we do not have a Jira license.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2018

Hi @Wolfgang Göbl,

I think it will be complicated to implement such an approval workflow with plain Confluence. The Comala-App is of course the high-level app, but there's also a free one, Page Approval:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/144/page-approval-by-servicerocket?hosting=server&tab=overview

I'm no user of this app, so I can't really recommend it. But it might be worth a try.

Thomas, thank you for your answer -I tried this app, but it does not do what I need - it does not hide unapproved content from other users.

Thx

Wolfgang

0 votes

Greg, thank you for you reply.

Where can I define that pages created by users a stored in their own space by default?

Do I need to create a personal space for every user manually?

The thing is: I want many people to participate (like wikipedia) and cannot create a space each time a new user signs in.

Thx

Wolfgang

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

If I'm not mistaken, each user can give you an access to their personal spaces which they create themselves if given the permission to.

Later they can mark their articles for review or add you as a watcher of the article in question. 

This process may require some testing.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

Forgot to say, as far as I know, you can't configure any default setting so that the articles created by the users are automatically placed in their personal spaces. The whole process requires 2 pre-production steps for the users to be taken:

1. create a personal space

2. allow the person who is to approve their articles to access it

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

Not sure if it suits your needs though :)

Greg, thank you for your ideas!

The problem is that participating must be easy for users.

It is public open participation, so I can not train them or explain to them that they need to create a personal space.

For that reason, I need a simple, automatic solution.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

If I were you I'd give it a shot with a small instruction on the welcome screen defining that:

1. You should create the articles in your personal space

2. In 1-2 working days, your article can be published after the review

Moreover, Confluence suggests itself that new users should create their personal spaces:

createpersonalspace.png 

No?

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

The hardest part here is to watch all their spaces for the new articles, review, approve, and move them. But for the end users, this process seems quite friendly. 

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

Didn't mean to be intrusive ;)

Greg, thank you, sounds like a good idea. I will investigate further....

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

Should you encounter any difficulties don't hesitate to come back.

0 votes
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

Hello!

I suggest the following solution:

All users create articles either in their personal spaces, or in a special space, where they have their own branches (visibility should be configured respectively).

After the article is approved, the admin just moves the page to the "main" space, where everyone can see all the articles.

Does it meet your needs?

Does this work also with users editing existing already approved pages?

What I need: users see already approved pages but cannot edit them directly, rather they must be able to create a copy in their personal space.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

Hm, maybe "Page Include" macro with the respective corrections?

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

OR there's also Inline comments

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events