Why the users without group are available in role into Jira and aren't in permission into Confluence

ElodieB August 17, 2018

Hi,

I know the following resolved ticket : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-42676 but it is focused on Confluence only.

I don't understand how Atlassian can maintain two different logical between Confluence and Jira on the autorisation behavior.

When a user isn't associated to groups and so don't consume a license :

- This user is available on the project for role assignation (Jira)

- This user is not available on the space for permission assignation (Confluence)

I understand that when an user does not have "Can Use" permission, he will not have permission to view any resources in Confluence" (see ttps://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-42676 comment) so what isn't the same justification in Jira and a different behavior... ?

Personally, I understand that the project administrators would like to assign Jira and Confluence permission before a new hire applies his first connexion which permits him to be added to the groups configured into the User directories and unfortunatly it is possible into Jira and not into Confluence....

Are there a work in progress to unify these behaviour ?

Best regards,

Elodie

1 answer

1 vote
Sattesh M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2018

Hello Elodie,

Thank you for sharing your point with us on the issue.

As of now, there seems to be no plan to unify these behavior in Confluence.
The reasoning for it is given by Richard Atkins in the comment in the CONFSERVER-42676 ticket.

However, I would suggest that you add your points above to the ticket above as well, as this allows the developers to see the different use cases and reasoning as to why we want Confluence to behave this way.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Sattesh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events