Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Atlassian's domain DNS verification work?

Myron L. Cramer July 25, 2022

I have configured and verified all of the required DNS entries for associating our domain with our Atlassian Confluence cloud account. But Atlassian's DNS service doesn't see the values that are clearly visibile to any query from public DNS servers like Google's 8.8.8.8 .

I have checked and double-checked and cannot unerstand what is going on.

At one time Atlassian verified all but one of the DNS entries; then I get a message that they no longer verify.

This is very erratic behavior and leads me to question whether the Cloud migration is worth the effort, if Confluence Cloud is so flaky.

My requests for support took me here.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

Hi @Myron L_ Cramer 

Welcome to the community 🙂

May I know the Domain manager where you are saving the DNS records?

If it's GoDaddy it's very easy and convenient to add the Domain records and say if it's bigrock, it's tedious

Atlassian will only give the records to add them in the domain manager and verify them. I believe you will have to work with the domain manager team to get this sorted out 

Let me know how it works out

Thanks,

Pramodh 

Myron L. Cramer July 26, 2022

Thank you. We use Network Solutions. I believe I have everything correctly configured even though Atlassian reports that none of these are configured.

Our domain is bct-llc.com 

Atlassian wants these records, all of which are configured in Network Solutions.

Type
Name
Record

TXT (SPF)
bct-llc.com
include:_spf.atlassian.net

CNAME (DKIM Active)
atlassian-144cd0._domainkey.bct-llc.com
atlassian-144cd0.dkim.atlassian.net.

CNAME (DKIM Fallback)
atlassian-fc86b7._domainkey.bct-llc.com
atlassian-fc86b7.dkim.atlassian.net.

CNAME Bounce
atlassian-bounces.bct-llc.com
bounces.mail-us.atlassian.net.

TXT (Verify)
bct-llc.com
atlassian-sending-domain-verification=075e2cc4-2bed-42fb-a1a8-7486eccf394c

Here is what I have. What am I missing? Atlassian’s system reports that none of these are configured.

mcramer@m72 ~ % nslookup

> server 8.8.8.8

Default server: 8.8.8.8

Address: 8.8.8.8#53

> atlassian-144cd0._domainkey.bct-llc.com

Server:                  8.8.8.8

Address:               8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:

atlassian-144cd0._domainkey.bct-llc.com              canonical name = atlassian-144cd0.dkim.atlassian.net.

> atlassian-fc86b7._domainkey.bct-llc.com

atlassian-fc86b7._domainkey.bct-llc.com               canonical name = atlassian-fc86b7.dkim.atlassian.net.

> atlassian-bounces.bct-llc.com

atlassian-bounces.bct-llc.com     canonical name = bounces.mail-us.atlassian.net.

mcramer@m72 ~ % dig @8.8.8.8 bct-llc.com txt

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @8.8.8.8 bct-llc.com txt

; (1 server found)

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 5285

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;bct-llc.com.                                        IN            TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:

bct-llc.com.                         7200      IN            TXT         "google-site-verification=vTwkXybaDiUyOg4sT6GvOl2erOxceDGkghZiLkkhPLk"

bct-llc.com.                         7200      IN            TXT         "atlassian-sending-domain-verification=075e2cc4-2bed-42fb-a1a8-7486eccf394c"

bct-llc.com.                         7200      IN            TXT         "abuseipdb-verification=Os7nWCvT"

bct-llc.com.                         7200      IN            TXT         "v=spf1 mx ip4:108.45.37.188/32 ip4:50.204.112.46/32 include:_spf.atlassian.net include:unanet.biz -all"

bct-llc.com.                         7200      IN            TXT         "MS=F237A3EBEEA8490D86C3A7726124A2A7E96BBA94"

;; Query time: 39 msec

;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)

;; WHEN: Tue Jul 26 06:05:59 EDT 2022

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 423
Sascha Kobus July 26, 2022

Without providing all the information about our dns that @Myron L_ Cramer in his case:

We had the same problem of not getting a single dns check returning success from Atlassian Admin.

It has been three days since we made the dns entries required for verification. Literally as I am writing this I wanted to add some information from the DNS records modal dialog from the admin page. To my suprise all checks are successful now.

At this point it feels like some kind of timing delay in the direction of dns-record replication... Probably it would help to know which ns Atlassian is using to do the verification. Or more likely they made some changes in the process on their side (code-wise) and a possible issue has now been solved. I kind of feel like you should be in the clear now, too. 

If not hope you get your case sorted out, too.  

Myron L. Cramer July 27, 2022

Sascha,

You were correct. Mine just suddenly was accepted even tough nothing had been changed and the settings ahd been active for seeks.

Thanks for the advice.

Myron

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events