Why does new editor link to wrong page?

Arthur Smith December 3, 2020

I'm finding the new confluence editor not only incredibly frustrating, but it sometimes actively and invisibly does the wrong thing! Here's steps to reproduce the problem I'm seeing:

(1) Create a new page in the new editor.

(2) Attach at least 5 files to the page (using the "Attachments" link under ... More actions on the top right)

(3) Edit the new page, and add links to the new attachments as follows:

(3a) Click the "Link" icon at the top

(3b) Paste in the URL for one of the attachment files in the URL field (top) - this causes a drop-down of other (generally unrelated) pages to appear

(3c) Cut and paste or type in what you want in the text field (bottom) for the link

(4) The above process works fine for the first 4 files (for me). However, for the 5th one and subsequent ones, the drop-down that appears in 3b somehow highlights one of the unrelated pages, and then invisibly replaces the link when I hit "Return" to complete the line. So the linked text looks fine, but the URL it links to is now some random page in Confluence, NOT the attachment I tried to link!

This is highly reproducible since last month (November 3) and obviously it causes serious problems. The only workaround I've found is to check each link in the editor after the edit, and paste in the correct URL again.

Can this be fixed? Or is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do here?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Arthur,

I have not been able to recreate the issue.  Can you clear your cache and see if that makes a difference.  If it does not solve the issue can you please provide some screenshots so I can ensure that I am following your instructions properly.  

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Also welcome to the community.

Arthur Smith December 4, 2020

@Brant Schroeder - well, taking screenshots is tricky as the dropdown menu disappears and it displays the linked text when you click anywhere else.

However, after clearing my cache the problem seems to have disappeared! I tested this several times and the bad dropdown selection no longer happens once I've entered the URL to the attachment file.

So I guess clearing cache is the solution here? How often does one need to do that? Anyway, thanks for the pointer!

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2020

Arthur,

I clear my cache for Atlassian cloud products about every two weeks to a month or if something odd is happening.  Since the cloud gets updated on a regular basis sometimes the JavaScript that gets cached causes issues but not that often.

0 votes
elliot.newton August 24, 2022

I think something similar happened to me....I renamed the page that was I was being sent to, and then I was able to access the page I couldn't previously.

I think, somehow, I managed to create a page with duplicate names.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events