Why does Atlassian not track page visits?

Greg Della-Croce June 13, 2016

Atlassian tracks and stores the date and who last updates a Space.   However, there is NO tracking at the page level for the last visit date or person.   Why is this?   I know that this issue has been brought up several times.  Each time Atlassian either does not respond or does not seem to take this issue seriously.   

As an Administrator for our Confluence Wiki I am asking that this issue be given some attention in the next release.

8 answers

0 votes
Anais Victor September 30, 2016
0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2016

Ferenc, I need to give that a good look, thx.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016

Tom, for this use case (web analytics) doesn't the add-on that integrates Confluence with Google Analytics work for you?

Or is the problem that you don't want to put your data into Google's hands?

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2016

Hey Greg, What we want based on MANY user requests in our company (we have a fairly large instance, now at >60k pages) seems different than your ask.  We are asking for 'how many visitors to our page or space' not who last visited and when.

I have never been able to find anyone with a solution for this, have you? For performance reasons, we would not need this to be dynamic as in 'current to the minute', it would be fine to see this update in a 'batch manner' overnight, or even over a weekend if that was better. The interest is based on a new page or space is communicated and folks are curious how many visits occur after a week, month or year to gauge the future effort needed, if any, to get more folks to visit/participate.

0 votes
Greg Della-Croce June 14, 2016

Joanna and Ferenc, thank you for your plugin suggestions.  I am working with Midori to try to get this to work.  My problem is that page view reporting works only after someone views a page after the plugin is installed, all pages not visited before the installation are assumed to have been "visited".  So if I set my page view as low as 1 day after installation, a week later the vast majority of the pages are marked as visited, even though they were not visited during that time.   I am going to have to load page "visits" for all pages in my WIKI (about 30K pages) after I install the Archive plugin.  Then pages not visited in that first test week will show as not visited.  A fix, but not a pleasant one.

I will look into the other plugins that were listed, thanks.

Steven, thanks for taking the time to reply.  The JIRA site you listed is marked as a "test JIRA site"  so I am not sure if items posted there are taken seriously by Atlassian.   I noted that in earlier comments that Atlassian blew off the idea of adding page visit statistics.  (I find that strange since page visits in a Wiki are a standard way to identify popular or dead pages in most sites)

Steven, also the KB page does not give enough information about where a page view information may exist in the DB.   So only by using an add on can you force the information to be gathered.  I will however take the time to follow the links to see if there is anything useful hidden there.  Thanks.

Greg

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

Archiving Plugin does track page views and enables:

1. reporting (what pages are not viewed? what is the ratio of viewed vs. non-viewed pages?)
  2. notifications (ping you sysadmin abot not-viewed pages so that he can decide to archive, remove, etc. them)
  3. archiving (move the not-viewed content to archive spaces so that they became practically invisible for regular users)

based on that.

See: http://www.midori-global.com/products/confluence-archiving-plugin/documentation/page-view-tracking

notification-email-not-viewed.png

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

Suggestions or feedback can be given on jira.atlassian.com. This user forum is not sufficient for requests as we do not work at Atlassian. Asking for attention to this issue isn't addressable here on Answers.

Page level tracking is stored in the database. There are numerous add-ons which expose this information and provide this capability. This topic is covered in depth in Confluence KB – https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-do-i-get-more-statistics-from-confluence-154239308.html.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events