Why didn't Confluence instance restart after a power outage?

Joe F August 6, 2019

Our mains power went down overnight, the UPS did it's job, initiating nice shutdowns of VM's and other machines etc.

On restart, most VM's came back up ok but not Confluence (502) error. It did not appear to be running so on login and I sent: $ sudo /etc/init.d/confluence start

This started Confluence and all has been fine after that. 

The question is, why didn't it restart automatically?

I have been trying to find a relevant log file to assist in the /opt/atlassian/confluence/logs but struggling with what I'm actually looking for...

Hoping for some guidance please.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 6, 2019

Hi Joe and Welcome,

Maybe the service is not enable to start on boot?

Try:

sudo systemctl enable confluence

.. and then restart your VM to see if Confluence start automatically on OS Boot.

sudo reboot

Kind Regard

Joe F August 6, 2019

Thank you Jack. I will do this, however, I'm pretty sure it is/was installed as a service and so I am expecting it to (still) restart automatically as the Atlassian install notes suggest. I'd still like to know why it didn't start normally...

I have run yr command, results follow:

sudo systemctl enable confluence

confluence.service is not a native service, redirecting to systemd-sysv-install

Executing /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable confluence

It appears to have completed successfully. I have to restart after hours so cannot do this for a few hours.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 7, 2019

Let see if the proposed command solves your problem.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards.

Joe F August 11, 2019

Hi Jack,

I have restarted the VM with Confluence after issuing the 'enable' command you mentioned above. Confluence did restart normally on reboot so that is good. Thanks for your help.

The question really involved the restart issue this once, after the power outage. It is probably not worth pursuing now, a week later, but thanks for your help with this. Would the catalina.out have any more info? and is there a tool to read/search it, maybe a link?

Marketplace Partner
August 12, 2019

Hi Joe, Good to know that Confluence started automatically.

On Linux env I used to view log files direclty on the terminal using command.

Here you go some handy examples:

https://www.faqforge.com/linux/distributions/debian/linux-how-to-view-log-files-on-the-shell/

Kind Regards

Did my answer solves your problem?

If so, consider to mark the proposed solution as an 'Accepted answer'. This will help other people with the same or a quite similar problem to find a solution in a easy and faster way.

In addition, by doing this the post will automatically gain the "Solved:" prefix in search results to indicate other people that no further support is needed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events