Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Confluence get the default page title when creating a new page from a template

Michael Rainwater March 18, 2013

I have noticed that whenever I create a new Confluence page from a template, the system will create a default page title. The page title is not unique, and is very odd. For example, I see a page title like this: ", Project Description, Functional Requirements" for one template. Then, I see the following title for another template: ", Functional Requirements, Performance, Usability, Business Continuity, Business Rule, Conversion, Training, User Documentation, User Interfaces, User Documentation".

I have tried changing the heading levels in my templates. But I can't seem to find the pattern for creating the page title.

I would like to either:

1. Have some control on the default page title by using variables OR
  2. Make Confluence stop the crazy guessing game and just leave the title blank

Any ideas out there on this?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. At the moment, it is not possible to configure the default title for your template.

In Confluence 5.1 (coming in a few weeks) we will ship with a "Create from template" macro. Future versions of this macro will allow you to pre-configure the page template title with some variables (E.g Space key, currentDate etc..) which will help you create more unique page titles and standardise them.

Does this help you solve your problem?

Burke Mamlin May 5, 2013

Looking forward to this feature... we could have used it today. :-)

When considering variables, for the page title, please try to accommodate custom variables (not just a pre-determined list like space key & today's date, though including those in the title & page would be useful). For example, the template we created today would work best with a title like

$Year-$Month Monthly Leadership Update for $Service

where $Year, $Month, and $Service variables would be lists (i.e., choice lists). Also note that we don't always want today's date in the title – e.g., the user may want to use the template to make a page for last month's report.

Cheers,

-Burke

Michael Rainwater July 6, 2013

The new feature works well. Thank you. This really helps.

3 votes
Laura Ulmer October 16, 2018

ok its 2018. Where is the ability to configure default tiles for custom templates?

3 votes
Gökhan Kazancı İkon Proje June 30, 2013

Hi all,

Is it possible to add code to the title? different Codes

Page content can be defined in the emergence of a $variable in the page title?

3 votes
Trevor North June 22, 2013

+1 for configurable page titles - but please allow them to be configurable enough to add a prefix and sequence number.

For example, if creating a product requirement using the blueprint, it would be great to configure a three letter acronum and e.g. a four digit sequence number.

The space key on its own isnt enough as this is for the project but each document type would need it's own identifying key.

1 vote
Bur Davis February 10, 2017

Is it possible to insert a link to the newly-created page on the page from which you invoke the 'Create from Template' macro?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events