What is this thing that isn't an image but isn't an emoji?

Mathew Imregi November 8, 2022

In the attached image, the mouse icon is an emoji; the eyes are NOT an emoji... what are they?  Here's what I know:

• It's in the template for the home page for a new documentation space (there are several of them, the eyes are just the example I am using)
  • When you change the font size, the image size changes (unlike emoji) so it appears to be part of a font?
  • It does NOT behave like an inserted image.

So... not an emoji, not an image, what is it, and how do I make more?

2022-11-08 11_07_08-Edit - 911inform User Guide - Access Test Space - Confluence and 8 more pages - .png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2022

It’s in-between? 😂 

Confluence comes with its own set of emoji that you can insert into page headers and page bodies.

If you type in :eyes: you can insert that particular Confluence emoji where you like. (This even works in the Confluence mobile app!)

Of course, you’re welcome to insert actual Unicode emoji into pages.

lol, thanks for the welcome.

Added "eyes" from the emoji button and attached a few more pics of it at different sizes- you can see the eyes emoji stays the same size but the nonmoji sizes relative to the text.  

2022-11-08 11_38_28-Edit - 911inform User Guide - Access Test Space - Confluence and 10 more pages -.png2022-11-08 11_38_56-Edit - 911inform User Guide - Access Test Space - Confluence and 10 more pages -.png

It also selects differently (see images) - the emoji is selected kinda like an object where the other eyes behave like text.

2022-11-08 11_39_29-Edit - 911inform User Guide - Access Test Space - Confluence and 10 more pages -.png2022-11-08 11_39_08-Edit - 911inform User Guide - Access Test Space - Confluence and 10 more pages -.png

Even the hover-over behavior is different (cannot screenshot because the mouse goes away)- hovering over the emoji changes the cursor to a finger pointer, hovering over the other thing does nothing (ie behaves like it is text).

Maybe one is an ascii emoji and one isnt?

This will absolutely drive me insane.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2022

I should elaborate - the built-in emoji offered by Confluence are rendered as vector images and will scale up with your display.

Unicode emoji (which are available everywhere, and appear on most devices, in most apps) will appear and scale differently. (What you're referring to as ASCII emoji. Unicode is the standard, I believe.)

For best results, use Confluence emoji while in Confluence so everything looks consistent, especially on high-resolution displays.

Hope that helps!

Not to be dumb, but in the editor, when I hit the "emoji" button, which is that?  From your description, I will assume Unicode but will be interested in your response haha.

In any case, referring to the images I attached above where there are two sets of eyes:

• The second set of eyes, the ones on the right, which are the ones I don't want, I know how to get (the emoji button in the editor, or by using colons). 
  • The ones on the left, which behavior more like a vector as you described... how do I even put those in?
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

For Unicode emoji, I grab them from Emojipedia (the site), or use the emoji keyboard on my mobile device when editing docs from a phone.

For built in Confluence emoji, just start typing in a colon and what you want.

Hope this helps!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2022

@Mathew Imregi - if my answer helped you, feel free to Accept it by clicking "Accept Answer" by my answer.

To recap, there are built-in Confluence emoji - these can be part of templates, and can be added by clicking the smiley-face icon in the wiki editing toolbar.

Then there are Unicode emoji - that specification is online, actually! https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

These emoji vary depending on the device you're viewing them on, the browser, and other factors.

Mathew Imregi November 22, 2022

Copying and pasting in the emoji from the unicode page replicated this behavior and helped me sleep soundly- thank you!

Like Dave Liao likes this
0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Hey @Mathew Imregi , welcome to the community.

What makes you think that it's not an emoji? Because I think it is the regular :eyes: emoji.

Xnip2022-11-08_17-14-13.png

Also, emojis change the size depending on the heading formatting in Confluence! :) What's the exact template you use? I wasn't able to identify it to check.

Best, Max

If you create a new documents space, the main page has one of these non-moji things with each heading.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2022

Hm, interesting because the screenshot I posted is taken from a new documentation space I created in my instance and it looks different. It also sounds more like a buggy behavior if the same emoji/icon is next to every headline. 🤔

Like Mathew Imregi likes this
Mathew Imregi November 11, 2022

I had done some editing already- it's a different icon at each heading (eyes, a clock, a book), but they all behave consistently to these eyes that I am describing.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events